Euthanasia in fish.

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Adam

Euthanasia in fish.

Post by Adam »

Some of you may be aware that I am currently battling the ravages of Neon Tetra Disease(NTD). Unfortunately one of the most effective methods of controlling NTD is the euthanasia of fish showing symptoms of the disease. I know it's a morbid subject, but what methods do people here employ? My personal choice is to put the affected fish in a pot of boiling water, for me this seems to be the quickest and most humane method.

Post by Guest »

Ouch! I don't know about you but I'd rather freeze to death than burn alive. Never had to euthanize any fish myself so I'm no expert but I wouldn't want to boil mine. NTD is noncom with cichlids, right? Sounds like some otherwise healthy feeders to me. Sorry for the callousness. I feel for you.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi guest,

Surely the fish would suffocate long before it froze to death, either way the onset of death is prolonged. I'm not an advocate of feeders, the risk of disease far outweighs the benefits.

Just my thoughts.
Matrix99

Post by Matrix99 »

I cut head :x and flush !
I really don't like to do this.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I have, in the distant past cut the heads off fish, swift, clean and effective, but please, don't chuck them down the loo as heaven knows what is being passed into our already failing watersystem. Sorry to rant but...
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

This is definately one of "those" subjects. I have only had to euthanise a couple of fish in my time, and I've got to say I felt guilty for days. Not to mention the golden apple sanil athat fell out of its shell and started to decompose. I couldn't think of a humane way to put it out of it's misery, so I wrapped it in a poly bag, ran outside, placed it unde the wheel of my car and reversed!!!!

No the nicest of jobs in the wolrd but it certainly done the trick.

As for fish, I must admit to using the freezer on the night of mty Stag Doo.
Although I don't particularly agree with it.

I have heard clove oil send them too sleep, (it acts like a general anaesthetic), but it is certainly not something I would recomend as ithe dosage would be imposible to work out for varying fish.

rob :cry:
Tom26000

Post by Tom26000 »

With small tetra sized fish I just net them, push the wet sides of the net so they stick together and flick the head of the fish. Dead immediately and no pain.

Boiling water and freezing is a no no in my opinion.

Boiling is unlikely to kill instantly and freezing will be a slow death either from lack of oxygen or through the exploding cells which occurs as the fish freezes, none of these is kind.

If the fish is large, over 4cms I place it in a carrier bag and very quickly run outside and swing the bag hard against the floor. Again virtually instant death.

Nothing is good but if you have the time and money put some alka-seltzer in a small container of tank water, with the fish in it, and this will eventually render the fish unconscious and then kill it.

Regards

Tom
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I think you're right tom. teh fast and furious way is probabl the most humane. I guess the fear is not doing it right

rob
Tom26000

Post by Tom26000 »

I agree, its not a nice thing to do but the thought of the fish not dying the first time makes sure I do it right if you see what I mean. Thankfully it is a rare that I need to kill a fish.

Tom
Adam

Post by Adam »

Some interesting practices there guys, I will be giving some of them serious consideration. Hopefully the NTD appears to have been stopped in it's tracks due to a new medication I used. Thankfully I've not had to kill any fish for the last two days now. Over the last week while the NTD was at it's peak I must have killed over 70 fish that were near to death, you would think it gets easier each time but it doesn't. With any luck I will not have to re-visit this subject for a very long time.

Thanks guys
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Good Luck Mate

rob
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks Rob, I was given some good advice by the guys here during my battle with NTD. I think I'm over the worst of it now, only one cardinal has died in almost three days.
Tom26000

Great news

Post by Tom26000 »

Hi Adam,

Glad to hear your cardinals are seemingly through the worst. :) At least they should hopefully have now built up some immunity.

Regards

Tom
Adam

Post by Adam »

That's a good point Tom the survivors may well have built up some immunity. I just wish that I found the treatment I'm using now a week ago, I would have saved most of them if I had. It's going to cost me a packet to replace 250 cardinals. I think I'll leave it for a while because I'm concentrating my efforts on building a zebra breeding colony and I need to set up a second tank for them.
DasArab
Obsessed!!

Post by DasArab »

I had to do the freezing thing with a few cory fry, that had deformities (deformed spines, swimming problems), just last night. I got a small tub and put some cold water and ice cubes in it. Then I added the fish then put it in the freezer, btw the wife wasnt around. I had been putting it off for around 2 weeks as I hate the thought of having to put them down, not because there are fish but cause they are so small and its hard to do humanly.
Can anyone out there remember the name of that stuff that you get when you want to knock fish out before examining them? "??? 22" or someting like that. If thats available from vets it might be a better option.