Sexing Juveniles

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Sexing Juveniles

Post by Raul-7 »

How old (what size in inches?) do juveniles have to be before they can be sexed? Do males always have "hairs" under their eyes, or is that only when they are mature? Thanks. :)
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

They needd to be about 2.5 inches until sexing can be noticeable really good
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Speaking from experience fishboy?

Some fish do mature earlier and can be sexable at 2" even. It just really varies from fish to fish and I definitely wouldn't count on sexing anything under that size to be 100% accurate.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

Some fish can be hard to sex even as mature (right Barbie :wink: )

I have a hard time to do so with mine who are mature and breeding. If you look long enough you can see odontoidal growth on all of them and they all look fat (dual sex zebras perhaps ? :lol: )

I think that one of the best indicators is that males take up residence in a cave, this can happen at 2 inches , before or after. Females will often find a place in a driftwood cluster to hang out.
That in combination with bodyshape , odontoidal growth on the pectoral fins and cheeks, shape of the paired fins and head shape you can usually narrow it down.
Keep in mind that the shape and odontoidal growth often doesn't happen until the fish are mature, well conditioned and in breeding mood.
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

Great stuff INXS, i agree. My female L260 has odontode growth on her pectorals, and not as much in the interpecular.
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

a little bit over two inches in two years.