Sexing Juveniles

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Sexing Juveniles

Post by Raul-7 »

How old (what size in inches?) do juveniles have to be before they can be sexed? Do males always have "hairs" under their eyes, or is that only when they are mature? Thanks. :)
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

They needd to be about 2.5 inches until sexing can be noticeable really good
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Speaking from experience fishboy?

Some fish do mature earlier and can be sexable at 2" even. It just really varies from fish to fish and I definitely wouldn't count on sexing anything under that size to be 100% accurate.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

Some fish can be hard to sex even as mature (right Barbie :wink: )

I have a hard time to do so with mine who are mature and breeding. If you look long enough you can see odontoidal growth on all of them and they all look fat (dual sex zebras perhaps ? :lol: )

I think that one of the best indicators is that males take up residence in a cave, this can happen at 2 inches , before or after. Females will often find a place in a driftwood cluster to hang out.
That in combination with bodyshape , odontoidal growth on the pectoral fins and cheeks, shape of the paired fins and head shape you can usually narrow it down.
Keep in mind that the shape and odontoidal growth often doesn't happen until the fish are mature, well conditioned and in breeding mood.
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

Great stuff INXS, i agree. My female L260 has odontode growth on her pectorals, and not as much in the interpecular.
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

a little bit over two inches in two years.
FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

Useful Heating Info

Post by FrankJScott »

For the guy asking about bryant heating and cooling near me, ducted heating repairs, warm air heating systems replacement, lennox heating, plumbing and heating engineer near me, valley heating, I highly suggest this best AC repair service details or riverton air conditioning & heating, express heating and air, heating near me, heat pump maintenance near me, oil boiler servicing, heating and air conditioning companies, not to mention this excellent boiler installation service blog on top of oil boiler repairs near me, furnace cleaning, lba heating and cooling, payne heating and cooling, rheem heating and cooling, mini split heat pump installation, on top of this recommended boiler cleaning service url which is also great. Also have a look at this top rated boiler installation service blog not to mention 24 hour furnace repair, andrews heating and cooling, home air conditioner repair near me, bills plumbing and heating, heating and air conditioning repair, my guy heating and air, not to mention this top rated boiler repair service forum not to mention wright heating and air, lennox heating and cooling, gas boiler maintenance, hutchinson heating and cooling, all pro heating and air, lennox repair near me, as well as recommended boiler installation service details which is also worth a look. I also suggest this top heating repair service tips as well as dons heating, cascade heating and air, geothermal home heating, j and j heating and cooling, blue best heating and air, furnace maintenance, as well as this updated plumbing installation service info as well as 24 hour heating and air, comfort solutions heating and cooling, hvac heating, ductless heating system, bryant heating and cooling systems, best hvac contractors near me, alongside all top plumbing repair service link which is also great. Finally, have a look at this best AC installation service info for good measure. Check more Cool Heating Info d8c7f68