Help .... ready !!!!!

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Dana
Groupie

Help .... ready !!!!!

Post by Dana »

Hello

I have one of my zebra who doesn't go well ....

What have he / she ?

I think that it's rot of the fins but i'm not sure ...

help me please ... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

what can I do .... ?

I will put her/he in another little tank and treat with bactopur direct from SERA ... It's for bacterial disease ....
but i'm not sur that it's better ...
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

That didn't look too good :( Could he have been in a fight? I think you're one the right track with treatment, make sure to change the water often so the water is always clean and fresh.

It's hard to tell on the picture if fungus has developed, but eSHa 2000, or the bacterial agent you're using should be able to keep that under control.

Others will have more advice to give I'm sure.

Good luck!
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Ouch! Dana, when did you notice this for the first time? And when was the last time you saw your fish well? Its tail looks almost gone to me - I am not 100% sure but it looks like there is fungus on the back where the tail was - but it may be the picture. The ventral fins are gone both sides too.
I would certainly keep the fish isolated - if it was indeed a fight you don't want the agressor to attack it again now it's trying to recover - and if it is a bacterial infection you don't want it transmitted.

Personally I would start using 1/2 the stated dose of Melafix / Pimafix combination on it - the combo has antibacterial properties and promotes healing. I would also try use a water conditioner with Aloe Vera to promote healing, added minerals in the water - and very clean water as McEve suggested - and vitamin enriched food.
Most importantly, I would keep him on his own in total darkness to ensure he is relaxed and doesn't go through unecessary further stress.
Best of luck with him, let us know how it goes.
Dana
Groupie

Post by Dana »

too late ... she/ he dies .... :(

I don't know what am i going to do .... but I think that it was one of my female ...

Since I have put the wood, I can't see them too easy ...

The only thing I can hope is that others don't have the same problem ..

I have lost my lovely fish .... and money too because I have bought my female 150 € for a fish ....

I will see after the others ... and try to found another female but it will be hard .

I think that I can stop all ....
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm so sorry to hear that dana :( I know just how you feel, as I lost a female not long ago due to an infection in a wound as well. But don't give up! You still have several lovely Zebras needing your attention so that you can get some fry in the future :)

I'm sure you'll succeed, just hang in there!
inia
Groupie

Post by inia »

Sorry for your loss dana... :(

The thing I would do if I was you: I would take all the extra decoration away and observe my fish very carefully, about a month or so, look specially the fins of the fish. If everything seems to be ockay, put the decoration back.
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Sorry to hear Dana :cry: It always hurts to lose them ... and we have all been through that. Don't let disappointment put you off though, unfortunately losses are also part of the hobby.
The fish in the picture looks like a male to me, so I wouldn't hurry searching for a female right now. Its more important to establish that the others are ok first, then consider getting a new fish.
Hope all goes well for you
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I don't think it's a good idea to remove all the decorations... the remaining fish will be stressed without having adequate cover to hide in/under.

I believe the fish you lost was a male, and that he was in a fight. Doesn't look like an illness, so even though I would keep an eye on the remaining fish, I wouldn't worry too much about it being anything contagious.

If it was indeed a fight, it would be a sign of a hierarchy forming, which is good in the sense that there now would be an alpha male in your colony. And that's the first step towards a breeding colony. So.. if this is indeed what happened then something good could come from it after all!

Crossing my fingers that the remaining fish are all good, but understand your worry - I would too! Keep an eye on them but I'm pretty sure you'll be at ease soon again :)
Dana
Groupie

Post by Dana »

great thanks ....

I will give live artemia and will see my fish ... I will try to put photo of staying fish to see if i have always my two female ...

I hope you have right
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Dana,

I'm sorry to hear about this bit of bad news, none of us can afford to lose any of these precious little fish. :cry:

As McEve has said the damage and consequent fungal infection is fairly consistent with the fish having been in a fight. I suspect that this fish was trapped by another male and mauled. This is why you'll notice that the damage is concentrated at the tail end. Unfortunately this can happen if there are a number of males in one colony. Luckily more often than not the aggressor will usually let the other fish escape.

Sorry for you loss. :cry:

Adam
Dana
Groupie

Post by Dana »

Thanks for your supports ...

I can't see my fish easily ... and it's difficult to take a photo ...

I will cross the fingers to hope have always my two female .

I have contact with a breeder . He sold young zebra (4 cm) 70 € ; with this size, they aren't sexables