Xingu

Whats happening in the wild, current issues and debates....oooh this one'll get hot!

fish fodder
Forum Follower

Xingu

Post by fish fodder »

i have just had a thought and i know that all you knowledgable people will help in answering a question i have, is it just the zebra plec that is being banned from import from the rio xingu or the entire population of fish IE the pike cichlids etc?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

This should be in the section "in the wild", but I'm sure one of the admins will move it.

In the meantime, no, it's not all fish that are banned from exporting. As far as I know Peckoltia and Ancistrus are unaffected by the ban. How things are with cichlids I don't know unfortunately :(

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure you'll get an answer from other forum members on this one :)
fish fodder
Forum Follower

Post by fish fodder »

thanks anyway, and im not too familiar with this site so i didnt know where to put this post :)
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

I have heard that lately there is a dispute between the Columbian government and the Brazilian government about some of the plecs. The Columbians classify them as food and continue to fish and export, the Brazilians classify them as ornamental and insist on the ban. Apparently this is the latest hot potato ....
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I don't think anybody would classify the Zebra as food :P Maybe snacks, but not food...

But you're right, there are som fish that are both ornamental and food....
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

McEve wrote:I don't think anybody would classify the Zebra as food :P Maybe snacks, but not food...
You clearly haven't thought of cats :twisted: :lol:

On a more serious note - I think the debate is over various L numbers - I haven't heard of zebras in particular.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

*Topic Moved*
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net