Neon Tetra disease.

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Hey Adam
If sera do make somthing for ntd then dartford aquatics(01322276252) sell a load off sera goods so they might stock it, good luck, by the way is this disease common as im watching my shoal off cardinals with great caution now.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

How is your disaster with the cardinals going, has NTD died back yet?
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi guys,

I think the NTD might be slowing down. I got some under the counter treatments from my LFS, I'm friendly with the manager there so he gave some of the stuff he uses. This guy is extremely knowledgeable, I've learnt a lot from him over the years. The stuff he gave me was from the far east judging by all the chinese writing on it, it was also in powder form. I have no idea of the actve ingredients of the treatment, apparently one contains a mild form of antibiotic amongst other things. Two treatments were used in combination, the H4 pesticide and the H2 bacteriacide.

I did another large water change on the tank last night and dosed with the treatments. This morning I was surprised to find that none of the cardinals had died over night. It's too early to tell yet but this stuff may be working, all other treatments I've used have been ineffective.

The treatments are made by Huey Hung and are called H4 Super killer(pesticide) and H2 Bacteria killer. I was told that they are primarily used to treat Discus.

Des I tried looking for the sera NTD treatment but none of my local LFSs had it.

Dan you should be ok as NTD is still quite rare, just make sure that you buy your cardinals from a quality LFS and that you quarantine them for at least 6 weeks before adding them to an existing shoal. Beware of live bearers as they can be carriers but will not show or suffer the symptoms of NTD. Avoid neons if you can as they are the main carriers of NTD, I've heard that this disease originated from the fish farms in the far east and that is where most neons come from, cardinals are wild caught and are not normally carriers.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I've 100 cardinals coming from my lfs next week so i hope to be lucky. THe powders you describe are not Huey Hung powders are they. I have had some for treating problems with my discus. They are superb treatments and i don't know why i didn't mention them before, probably as it is a year since i have had any problems with my discus tank. :?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yes Tristan they are Huey Hung powders, H4 Super killer and H2 bacteria killer. This stuff seems to be working, no deaths this morning, however a few of the cardinals have been badly damaged by the NTD. I think it will be best to take them out and destroy them. :cry:

Good luck with the 100 cardinals, you should be ok as NTD is not that common in wild caught cardinals. I've decided to rebuild the shoal, well I've actually been ordered to by the Mrs. However I will not be getting any more cardinals for at least 3 months just to make sure that any reminants of the NTD has gone.

I think that you would be hard pressed to beat the impact that a big shoal of cardinals has. I built my shoal up by getting them in batches of 50 to 100. Of the 400+ shoal I estimate that there about 150 fish left, if only I had found this treatment a week ago I would have saved most of them. I'm going back to the LFS today to get some more of the Huey Hung powders.

Thanks for all the advice guys. :D
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

The Huey hung treatments are expensive but do work, a friend of mine had discus plague, wiped out all the discus in teh shop but those that were treated in time came back really quickly. I'm glad you didn't loose all the shoal. What sort of price are you paying for cardinals. My lfs have them for £10 for 6 althought they are going to send them to me directly from teh wholesalers as i am a "good" customer. I am currently waiting for a price.
Adam

Post by Adam »

The Huey Hung treatments are expensive I paid £13.99 for each bottle. It's fantastic stuff though, there's been no cardinal deaths today. Usually 15+ would have died by this time of the day, miracle cure perhaps.

£10 for 6 is too much, you should be able to haggle and get them for £1 each. Personally I wouldn't pay more than that, remember the LFS is getting them for about 24p each. I've paid between 40p and £1 each for my cardinals, my LFS sells them for £1 to me. It looks like I have to start all over again. When a friend of mine was the manager at Maidenhead aquatics in Enfield he use to let me have them for 40p, he has moved on now and is no longer in the industry. At that time I had over 700+ cardinals, honest I have pictures to prove it. Then I had my first outbreak of NTD.

Tristan I've been messing around with cardinals for about 4 years now so I can give you some valuable advice that I have learnt from costly mistakes. Collect your cardinals from the LFS, they don't ship well. Don't get a shipment direct from a wholesaler the price will be good but if half of the fish are dead you still have to pay for them, done this one. If the LFS gets the shipment and half are dead that's their problem not yours. Find out if the fish are from either Holland or Belgium. If they are not don't bother, fish from these two countries have been well rested along their long journey. You're asking for trouble if the fish came straight out of the wild 2 days ago, done this one too.

Try this place http://www.fishcrazy.co.uk/ they do cardinals for 60p each, I think they are in Stevenage.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Thanks for teh advice Adam,

The wholesaler is in Winchester and the fish will have been quarantined "so they say" but i will ask for them to be kept in the shop tanks for a week or so.

Cheers Tristan :)
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Thanks for the advice Adam,

The wholesaler is in Winchester and the fish will have been quarantined "so they say" but i will ask for them to be kept in the shop tanks for a week or so.

Cheers Tristan :)

BTW i can get Huey Hung treatments for less, well, i could last year, I will check my supplier. Let me know if you want any more and i will see what i can do.

8)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Tristan wrote:

BTW i can get Huey Hung treatments for less, well, i could last year, I will check my supplier. Let me know if you want any more and i will see what i can do.

8)
Yes please, my LFS don't have anymore of the H4 Superkiller. It doesn't look like they are going to get any more in as they don't stock Discus any more.

If you can get some H2, H3 and H4 I would be eternally greatful. I'll sort you out with all the costs. Just had another look in the tank, no more dead cardinals. :D
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

That is good news, fingers crossed for the rest then. :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cheers Tristan, things are certanily looking better than yesterday. :D

PS don't forget to find out about the Huey Hung stuff.

Thanks
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Adam,
If youre having trouble getting the Huey hung medications, I know that www.discus-south.com have them in stock. They are in Southampton but could post it to you. I'm sure the price was a lot less than you quoted and their Discus are very reasonable too.
The last time I was there I bought some H2 which they advised for slime on Altum angels.
Regards,
Des. :lol:
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Des & Adam, I get my stuff from discus south but can usually haggle a little as i have bought fish from there in the past and will be going there soon. I'll let you know and pick some up as i only live 20 mins from there. 8)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Tristan and Des, thanks for all the advice. I will definately be using Huey hung treatments from now on. I've not come across anything that's so effective.

Tristan, if you can gey the HH stuff I'll sort you out with all the costs.

Cheers.