Zebras with white spot!! (should i or shouldnt i)

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Zebras with white spot!! (should i or shouldnt i)

Post by DANthirty »

Hi guys

Ive just seen the two biggest zebras ever, they were monsters around 4 and half inches and realy fat i couldnt believe my eyes, i wasnt going to buy any more zebs but couldnt let these go a miss, the only problem is that they are covered in whitespot the guy in the shop said it should be gone by the weekend but i said i will wait untill next teusday and gave him a deposit for the two, he was asking for £95 each ,but i just couldnt believe my eyes at the size off them they are huge. but do you think that it is a good idea to buy fish that have just got over whitespot, is a week long enough to wait?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

As long as you have a quarantine tank, I'd go back and get them right now. The store is probably going to treat them with malachite green based meds, rather than just do water changes. Zebras LIKE high temps, as much as 90 degrees, and with a daily water change and good vacuuming of the substrate, with lots of aeration, the ich will be gone in 3 days, maximum. The daily water changes actually help them, and there's no need to medicate that way. If I'm worried, or if they've got a bad case, I also add a teaspoon of salt per gallon every day for 3 days (keeping in mind I'm removing at least 1/3 of the water daily before that dosage). Hope that helps. Ich is rarely fatal, I've found, usually it's the meds and the water quality issues they cause that are the problem.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Thanks Barbie you are a true genuis when it comes to fish's. :wink:
Ken must be a very lucky man :D

I havent got a quarintine tank at the moment so i will have to let the shop deal with it, with which ever method they use.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Dan

I'm with Barbie on this one. I used to use Myxazin, a braod spectrum based treatment, but after speaking to barbie on Planetcatfish, I've been converted to "High temps and water changes".

Find out from the guy if the tanks are on central filtration, and if so, check the fish in the other tanks.

Any ideas if they are male or female?

Goofd luck mate

rob
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

You're going to spend this much money on fish and you don't own a quarantine tank? Hold out your hands! *looks around for her ruler* Bad fish daddy! Seriously, you can set up a 10 gallon tank for under 40 dollars, which is what, 3 pounds or something? :lol: There's just no excuse for not having one hiding in wait somewhere for when you have a problem, or god forbid suddenly need a home for fry! Heater, filter, top and glass box is all you need!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

DANthirty,

I have used Protozin (Waterlife),WSP by Aquarium Doctor and Esha EXIT, at different times in the past . All were succesful in clearing whitespot. The only fish that succumbed to the medication was a clown loach.
I always quarantine any new fish purchased prior to going in the community or species tank.

Have sent you a pm.

Des :lol:
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Ich can't survuve/ wont infect your fish above 83*F so if your tanks are at that temp then the ich shoudl go away itself. :)
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Des i didnt recieve your pm.