Blue eyes...zebra's

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
alga
Groupie

Blue eyes...zebra's

Post by alga »

What's up with the appearance of a blue eyed zebra? It appears my male has bluish eyes as do several of the fry I saw this morning. Is it just the angle of the light or are the eys actually blue?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

As far as I know it's a sign of good health...all my zebs have a tinge of blue in their dorsal fin, tail and eyes.

It's certainly nothing to worry about and looks great if you ask me! :D
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

I thought the boy zebras had blue eyes and girl zebras red?
Or is it the party zebras that have the red eyes?

JK, I also heard that it is a sign of good health and it is usually with a combination of a bluish tint to the fins.

If you feed a lot of shrimp based food with shells ground up the zebras can actually take on a slightly pink tinge - maybe we can market multicolored zebras like the jellybean parrotcichlid :roll:
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

INXS, what color do you want? I have the food coloring a syringe and a fry in a holding tank, your choices are blue, green, red and yellow. I can also do combinations or rainbow colors. :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the replies as I had never heard that about health of the fish and blue color. You learn something new every day.....I guess I'm done for today :o
inia
Groupie

Post by inia »

When I got my first young zebras ~2 years ago, they had clearly blue eyes. The colour didn't last long, and today their eyes are mostly white or slightly blue. Also their babies eyes are mostly white. My first zebras were probably caught from nature, and I have wondered if there is something missing from the water or from their diet that causes the beautiful blue eyes they once had...

Here are some old pics, sorry about the quality

ImageImage