Whose had multiple spawns

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
fishboy
Groupie

Whose had multiple spawns

Post by fishboy »

As you know i am going to get zebras sometime. I think i am getting 8 babies that should take 2.5 years to reach breeding size. I then will trade my males with others peoples males to keep my colony with good genes. Eventually i will have a colony of 2 males and 4 females. Who out there has had multiple spawns and how many. And, over how long of time period. And last but not least, did you trigger the spawn with a rainy season or something else
Telnes
Groupie

Post by Telnes »

I am new to this site but to your first question. They do have a list here:
http://www.zebrapleco.com/register.php
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

Thank you. I have been aboard awhile, that is just recently added
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

Could anyone tell me who annon is. That is a ton of spawns and babies per batch
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Welcome to the site Telnes, good to see you! :D

Annon is not a member of the forum, maybe he wants to be annon(ymouse)

:)
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

OK, i get it. Thanks. I have heard rumors that someone is mass breeding these is the US. Maybe this is the person....?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI fishboy

As McEve has pointed the out anyone marked as "annon" means they wish to keep theri name and details private. The reason behind this is that due to the hight numbers fo fish they breed they do not want to advertise it.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Why is that then? i would be proud to say i managed to breed that many fish!
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Shell231

You have seen how much attention these fish get both price and rarety. If a breeder does not need to advertise, why get bombarded with e-mails asking fro cheap fish from every man and his dog. PArdon the experssion!! :wink:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I must admit I was a little surprised when i saw 'annon' in the list. I can understand if they supplied their name to you and then asked for it not to be displayed on the site (if that is an option) but not to supply it at all makes the data provided very questionable, especially when this person is claiming to have had far more success than anyone else on the register.

Also one of the reasons for doing this register is because as stated at the top of the breeders page:

3. Allows responsible breeders to become part of a recognised program.

A recognised programme...what does that entail? At the moment it's not a recognised programme...it's just a list of people stating they have bred some zebras. If you wish to turn it into a 'programme' then I would have thought people are going to have to provide info, be accountable, be willing etc..and as you stated they play no part in the forum so exaclty how much help can annon be to this programme?
All he/she is, is an entry in a list claiming to have had far more success than anyone else but not even willing to provide his/her name.
I'm sorry but 'Bill in Idaho' isn't enough info to find anyone ....so I think even that would be sufficient rather than just some dubious annon.

Incidentally, having looked at the breeding register there seems to be a distinct lack of info required. All it seems to ask for other than the name, location etc is water parameters. Personally, I'd of thought we'd be much more specific, there's so much more we can find out.
As the page says, the breeding register serves 3 purposes, here's one of them:

1. Highlights Geographical areas where there are Successful Breeders.

This might provide 3 seconds of interest...but I think we already know who's having success and where they are. I'd be much more interested in knowing the average tank turnover of all successful breeders, or what is the 5 most common foods given by successful breeders or what the average size tank is per number of zebras which successful breeders have got. This is the kind of info I and I think we should be interested in...
Not one to moan and do nothing about it but if Rob doesn't have the time I'd be more than happy to draw up a detailed questionaire and collate the results.

rant over. :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I agree. I also would like to know how many snubnoses, were they taken care of by the father to day 28, how large the colony was, and if the spawn was in a "fish room" or a room with normal activity for instance.

But, I also see that too many questions easily could put people off filling out the form, but... that might be what it takes if any really valuable information can be pulled from it later on.

Mind you "Geographical areas" could be very interesting as it might say something about water quality (unnless RO is used) and temperature and sunlight fluctations for instance.

But don't rule out the possibility that Rob does indeed know who all annons are ;)
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

exactly!....we could be getting so much useful and interesting info.

I understand your point about the length of the questionaire but if people are willing to spend hours looking after their fish andtrying to breed them, checking the forum, taking part in competitions on this forum (I know I've spent about 4 hours infront of my tank taking pictures already)...I don't think they'd have a problem doing something once for their hobby and the greater good. Especially when all you need to do is print it out, make your self a nice cup of tea, sit down in front of your tank and fill in a few pages of questions.
Infact if I was a succesful breeder I'd be extremely interested to know whether my set-up and processes differs to the majority as a whole.

It seems the end result is to accumulate better breeding data. Considering that most people who attend this site are breeders, people trying to get their zebs to breed or people tying to aquire zebs to breed I don't think people will mind spending an hour or two answering questions which in the end may help us all to breed our fish. It's what we're here for :D

I also think a seperate register of people trying to breed but have not had any success yet is just as important.... not only will we have a list of people and the number of zebs they own it would be very interesting to compare the data of those who have been successful and those who haven't yet and see if there are any differences.
Knowing the wrong way is a great step in understanding the right way...
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Plasitc Mac
All he/she is, is an entry in a list claiming to have had far more success than anyone else but not even willing to provide his/her name.
I'm sorry but 'Bill in Idaho' isn't enough info to find anyone ....so I think even that would be sufficient rather than just some dubious annon.
I do understand your point and I should have made it more apparent on the Register submittion page. Anyone listed as "Annon" on the register is vetted (as much as I humanly can do without physically popping accoross continents etc and visting there set-up) prior to placing on the list. If it was merely a submittion that automatically appeared on a list then yes I would agree. But it is not, anyone on the list has been known to me in some form or another prior to the list being compiled.
If you are a forum member and would like to be placed on the Register, then please complete the form below.
All submittions to the list are by Forum members. For the individual we are talking about, I beg you to question why they wish to be annonomous? There is not only a huge interest in getting these fish by whatever means available due their high price -tag, but there is also a huge number of people wanting to breed through the easiest route possible.

From a personal point of view, one of the reasons I set up the forum was because I could not answer the volume of questions received on a daily basis. Even now I am continually bombarded with e-mails asking questions that are answered more than once in the forum, but realise that this is my choice for making my name known.
Incidentally, having looked at the breeding register there seems to be a distinct lack of info required. All it seems to ask for other than the name, location etc is water parameters. Personally, I'd of thought we'd be much more specific, there's so much more we can find out.
Yes I agree there is a great deal more that we could ask, but we must start somewhere. It is very easy to build on a platform that is already there. The diffficult part is making sure the foundations exist! As I have stated previously one of the primary reasons for this register is to monitor "on a timeline" the number of fry bred in captivity.

The Stats page is meant for more detailed information that can be submitted and viewed for possible trends. Yes I agree, there are many more details we could be monitoring, and I am more than willing to take on board your suggestions.
If you wish to turn it into a 'programme' then I would have thought people are going to have to provide info, be accountable, be willing etc..and as you stated they play no part in the forum so exaclty how much help can annon be to this programme?
Are we talking here about the use of the Word "Program" (my apologies on the spelling) , and if so it is not meant in the context you are suggesting. It would be nice to create such a "programme" that has constraints and enforces accountability, but unfortunately this site is purely a hobby and it cannot be governed to that extent.

As for "Annon" not contributing, this individual is a memebr of the site, and by merely breeding these fish, I feel is contributing a great deal. The fact that they have also contributed a great deal to the site and forum is irrelevant. I do however appologise for note making the sites "Policy" on annonomous submittions clear, I will amend the Regiser page accordingly.

Unfortunately as you suggest, I at present do not have a great deal of time to put into amalgamating the data and creating the script to make it available online in a format that will show trends etc. If this is something you wold like to assist with I would be extremely greatful.

I hope I have not appeared to have taken too much of a "defensive tone" on this topic.

Rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I think time is a crucial factor in this issue. If we all keep working for the site, it's going to expand and get better all the time. We all wish Rob had 8 arms, but he doesn't :)

The forum's been up for a year now, I think we've come a long way. But there's a long way ahead of us as well. We'll just have to build the road as we go along.

Wonder where we are in 5 years? Exciting times ahead for growing, learning and expanding! :D

TTT, as always :roll:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Hi Rob,

It certainly doesn't give the impression of being defensive at all, it's fine. :D

No problem on the annon subject. If you know the person then that's absolutely fine. The only reason I questioned it was because the registering system is open to abuse (potentially) and the wording 'annon' implies just that, the unkown. Perhaps 'Identity Shielded' would be a better way of phrasing it and be a little clearer.
I also absolutely agree that people should have the right to anonymity, like i said it was just the wording coupled with the great number of spawns. Plus, I now realise I misunderstood one of McEve's sentences where she stated 'Annon is not a member of the forum, maybe he wants to be annon(ymouse) ' I took it as the person was not a member of the forum but had admitted his stats and therfore not really contributing anything and could infact be a prank entry. Rather than the 'Annon' is not a username of anyone in this forum. For that I apologise, especially to the person who is Annon.

As for my interpretation of the 'program'. I more envisaged a data collection style program, nothing more. I thought it should take on the form of a detailed survey, although this could be a staged process if McEve is right and people would be put off filling in a large questionaire.
I just think in the absense of detailed info on the L46 and it's breeding habits, which there obviously is, we have the potential to fill-in some of the knowledge gap ourselves so why waste the opportunity.

Hope that clears everything up, and apologies for hijacking your topic Fishboy. :oops: :lol:

Dukerider.