Strange zebra behaviour.

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Adam

Strange zebra behaviour.

Post by Adam »

I have noticed that two of my adult zebras are behaving rather strangely and as usual I'm getting worried.

This is what they are doing. While resting on the tank bottom they are gently "beating" their pectoral, ventral and caudal fins. It's almost a swimming motion except they are not moving anywhere, can't think of a better way to describe it. All the other zebras are lying around motionless as usual, it's just this two.

All water parameters are fine, there have been no new additions to the tank for a while. There are also no visible signs of disease or stress and a 40% water change was carried out yesterday but it didn't help.

Someone please tell me that this is normal behaviour and that I'm just worrying about nothing. I hope I'm not going to lose them. :cry:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI Adam

I wouldn't worry, this is something thatis quite often used as a sort of threat, "ie. Stay away", are both the zebras' male, and are they in close proximity to each other. They could be protecting their territory.

This is also used whilst mating in the cave, the male will beat his pectorial fins once he has the female in the cave.

Keep an eye on them however, and make sure that they don't end up fighting. Keep an eye on the ends of their pectorial fins, as this is wehere they tend to get damaged.

rob
Adam

Post by Adam »

I can't thank you enough Rob, one is definately a male and the other is more than likely male. They are not particularly close to each other but there are other zebras near. There appears to be some damage, very slight red mark, at the tip of ones pectoral fin. I had initially put this down as one of those unexplained tank injuries. You know the ones where you can't think of how it happened.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest Rob, I now owe you a drink or several. What's the P&P like on beer :?: :mrgreen:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

DUnno... last tie I tried, the envelope disintegrated.!! :lol: :lol:

It might be an idea to try and create a little more territories.

Just incase it is stopping the male from feeling confident enough to start some zebra luvin!

rob

Post by Guest »

Cheers Rob,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you're suppose to leave the beer in the can when you P&P it. Or you can use some of those empty fish bags and poly boxes we all have lying around. Make sure not to wash the bags as this adds a nice fish taste to the beer. :lol: :lol:

The zebras will be going into their own 4ft tank in the next week or so. I will then be putting in the home made slate caves, hopefully there should be enough to go around. If not I'll just have to make some more.

The luvin can really kick off when they're in their new digs. :wink:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sorry the last post was by me.

Just cleared my internet cashe and it killed all my login IDs and passwords, I should know better really. :roll: