Another injury

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Another injury

Post by McEve »

suggestions?

The wound is two days old, and look slightly better. The protruding part looks smaller, but still hard to tell for sure.

alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

McEve, what is the injury from, fighting? How large is the fish in the photo? Do you know the sex? Just in front of the dorsal seems to be where a male positions himself on the female during courtship.

Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse dilute ioding treatment directly to the fish sometimes does the trick.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi alga!

I don't know what caused it, probably a fight as the whole group has recently been reallocated. It's a close to fully grown female.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Thats a nasty one. :x

I think you are probably right about the territorial thing. Does there appear to be any fungal growth at all?
rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

No, there doesn't seem to be any fungi growing on it.

It actually looks a lot worse in the picture than real life, but I guess that only goes to prove the value of taking a picture.

The protruding part seemed larger and more to the right side when I first noticed it two days ago. I'm not sure if that indicates healing or not but.

It's not pretty... no... :(

I don't know if this pic gives any more info. I can catch her, but are holding back as I don't want to stress her if I don't have to.

She's moving around in the tank.
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

The iodine thing has always helped me in the past with injuries.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Rehousing the group recently is the likely cause of the injury, there's likely to be a bit of infighting until things settle down.

Personally I think the fish should be ok providing a secondary infection doesn't set in but as you say the wound is still clean at the moment.

In a few days the redness of the wound should start to disapper as it begins to heal. If there is no improvement or you notice that it gets worse I would do as INXS has suggested.

I'm sure she will be ok. :wink:

Adam
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks all for your help. I'll keep a close eye on her :) If need be I have to find the correct term for iodine in Norwegain...
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

jod - det ar pa svenska i alla fall. Kanske iodinlosning?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yep, I was wondering about that too INXS. :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I see you speak Swedish INXS :D Jod would probably be the right term here. That so dark red that it's almost black, and sting like h*** when applied? I remember we used it on horses...

She's not as red around the wound anymore, but now there's fungus on it. My eSHa better arrive soon...

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

24 hours later the red area has disappeared, but it's creeping up the first spine on her dorsal fin.

This is how she looks like after iodine treatment:

I'm worried about her (hmmm... him...? I never noticed how much odontodes the fish has before taking close up pics...) now. I'm unsure if I should have diluted the iodine? She moves around but doesn't look happy.

Should I repeat the treatment? And should I dilute the iodine?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

now 4 hours later it looks better..... maybe there's hope for the wound to heal?

hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

I have a local fish group here in Inverness and the advice I got from the fish vet was to use malachite green for fungal infections and believe it or not to use mouth ulcer treatment with ADCORTYL on open wounds and infected areas as it contains an antibacterial antiseptic agent and will create a water resistant barrier over the wound.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/malachite.htm
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I lost her. I probably started the treatment too late :(