amputation

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

hamish99
Obsessed!!

amputation

Post by hamish99 »

1 of my breeder females has a real bad pec fin infection, i can post pics but 65% of the bone is showing, ive tried most treatments with no success, now considering amputation, what do you all think? ide rather have a stumpy fish than no fish
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

I once had an pterophyllum altum that developed fungus on both pectoral fins - really nasty cottony stuff.

I netted the fish and whiped it with iodine (both fins came off, inadvertedly), I didn't think the fish would live but it recovered and both fins grew out fully and healthy.

I would try iodine but make sure you net the fish and whipe it on the affected area only.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Hamish,

I would only resort to amputation as an absolute last resort. The risk of secondary infection is just too high, you could end up making the problem a whole lot worse. I think that a picture of the fish would help. As INXS has suggested treating the affected area with iodine would be better. Do a search for some koi sites, the wound sterilisers and creams that koi keepers use are excellent.

Adam
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I had to amputate one half of a pectoral fin on my L318 female, due to a tumor that was developing and growing rampant. It was not a fun experience, and I DID iodine swab the edges of the wound I caused and applied pressure to the main artery that was bleeding profusely before releasing the fish. It was not a fun experience, and I'd think you could treat a bacterial issue (which fin rot generally is) without such drastic measures, personally. The only reason I did end up having to do the amputation I did was due to the sheer size and my worry that it was threatening her health if it should be injured.

Sorry I'm not more help!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

i would post a picture but my camera is not working but ill try a describe the wound, about 5mm from where the pec fin comes out from her body the bone is completely showing right round and is only attached about 5mm from the very tip of the fin, i dont think it will heal on its own
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Hamish99

Does this ring any bells.

I had a similar problem when I had been away for a couple of days and returned to find this. I had problems with two dominat females continuing to fight, and this was the result.

I placed her in a breeder hanging inside her her tank and topically applied methly blue to kill off any fungal infection.

Then against my usual judgement I topically applied Myxazin. a week later and it was starting to heal.

Normally I am against medications, but in such an instance it could very lead to to secondary bacterial infections.

The chances are if this is happeneing, then infection is not the primary problem, but territorial dispute. Get her healed and then have a wee look at who could be casuing the damage.

If this is a breeder, and she is breeding frequently, it can also be damage caused during courship. If she is breeding more than once every 4 weeks, she may not be getting time to heal as her immune system will be reduced.

Either way she need a little tlc and time on her own.

Hope this helps

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

thanks rob, but the injury is a wee bit worse than the one in you pic, i borrowed a pic from a well known website, the remainder of the fin is attached to the pec bone only at the tip kinda like a flag would be, the white area being the bone & the red area being the infected bit, the bone is totally exposed right round, im using methly blue, shes in a tank of her own at the mo, and shes not eaten for a few days.

hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

heres a pic of her, i borrowed my mates camera so the pic is not so good

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Hamish

Definately look slike a fighting injury, although she is also a little thin. Has she recently spawned?

I woudl still suggest htat you place her in a breeder and continue wiht the methly blue. This will reduce the chances of any further fungal infection. By then the reddening should have reduced. If there still appears to be infection, then try the Myxazin.

Obviously keep up a high number of water changes at this point, as this will assist wiht the fish's immune system.

I also notice thather eyes appear sunken, is this just the camera? If they are then you will need to get her eating asap. This happens because plecs have high fat deposits in the head, when they become malnurished, they fat deposits reduce, thus making the eyes sink.

If she is a breeder, and if she does recover, I would suggest keeping her away from the male for a while.
rob
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

im feeding her usual food but she isnt interested
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Are her eyes sunken?
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

they are a wee bit, do you think the fin will grow back over the bone coz where the arrow is pointing is not atached to the bone, i can see through it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/ ... 17iiii.jpg
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

You need to get that fish in antibiotic treated water, IMO. Kanacyn or something that works for gram negative bacteria is definitely recommended. Daily water changes also. If she was mine, I'd topically apply iodine to the area and treat with antibiotics and pray. She's pretty far gone. I definitely don't think you've got much time to waste. I wouldn't worry about amputation. The wound isn't causing any of the problem, the infection is.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]