Paint fumes and fish.

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Adam

Paint fumes and fish.

Post by Adam »

Has anyone got some advice on the effects of paint fumes on fish? I'm using the low odour stuff but it's still quite pungent, I've turned my venturi off so that it doesn't pump the fumes into the tank. Are there any other precautions I should consider?
Last edited by Adam on Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

I'd prolly turn all the filters off for a while. You'll have minimal gas exchange that way.

Open as many windows and doors as possible to vent the fumes ASAP.

Once the fumes die down, change as much water as you're comfortable with changing and then change more tomorrow..
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

A couple of fans in the room directing the odour out the window would help too but Pete has covered it all.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks for the advice guys. :D
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Hi Adam,
My parents came round and redecorated my fish room whilst i was away, tehy kept the windows open whilst they were there and ledt tehm on the latch at night. There were no side effects at all. Just keep a bit of ventilation going! :D
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Adam

Post by Adam »

I listened to all the sound advice, filters switched off and airation. All the windows in the room were left wide open and I've just finished a 60% water change 5 hours after I finished painting. I also had a couple of fans going, pointed at the open windows. So far so good, there have been no casualties.

Once again thanks for all the sound advice guys. :D
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Glad it all went smoothly mate.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I am sure that all will be ok, keep us all posted. :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Everything seems to be OK this morning, everyones feeding and there hasn't been any ovenight casualties. Had to close all the windows before going to work, hopefully most of the paint fumes have already dispersed. I'll be doing another water change tonight just to be on the safe side.

Thanks Tristan. :D
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

You never know, all these nig water changes moight trigger a spawn! :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Spot on Tristan, all the big water changes have triggered the C.Sterbai to spawn. Shame it wasn't the zebras eh. :(
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Keep trying, you never know, BTW did you see on fish crazy he was offereing sterbae for £2.50 a throw? :shock: :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Spotted those as well as the cardinals for 65p. :shock: I would have saved a small fortune had I bought my cardinals from there. Mind you when I was buying cardinals I was managing to get them for £1 each, haven't bought any for well over a year now. The shoal is starting to thin down now as some of them are over 3 years old and I get the occassional death due to old age. I got into the cardinal thing when I saw a show tank at a LFS that had 1000 cardinals in it. :shock: :shock:
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Yep our LFS did that and sold out of cardinals straight away. My discus then ate my cardinals :shock: . I shouldn' t have been shocked but i thought that the discus were too small. Hmmm you live and learn
Adam

Post by Adam »

I made a similar mistake with altum angels and neons years ago. It's funny how you never catch them in the act :evil: