L046 Zebra's in Full Planted Set up with CO2?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

NML

L046 Zebra's in Full Planted Set up with CO2?

Post by NML »

As title stated, will it be ok for zebra pleco's to be in a full planted tank with CO2 set up and fine gravel or normal gravel, whatever is best for it ...

The tank will be a Juwel Lido 120L tank,filter will be a fluval 305/306 cannister filter set up and a power head if needed. I know Zebra's need lots of oxygen what could aid this?

please give me your opinions as I really want to set this up...

thanks.
TwoTankAmin

Re: L046 Zebra's in Full Planted Set up with CO2?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

As somebody who does planted communities (I just took down my co2 added tank after 11 years) as well as a zebra keeper, I would not go that route. However, that doesn't mean it can not be done.

The reason I would shy away from such a setup is it is really the complete opposite of how zebras live in nature. The live in deep, warm fast flowing water. There is no light, the bottom is almost bare bedrock and is strewn with rocks and wood and areas of sand. This lets the zebras move about under cover most of the time. And zebras are happiest when they are hiding where they feel safest.

So a planted, co2 added tank is at odds with this. I have always felt that when one does a high tech planted tank, that the plants are as or more important than the fish. High current and many of the plants that might go into a tank with pressurized co2 are often not compatible as well.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
NML

Post by NML »

TwoTankAmin wrote:As somebody who does planted communities (I just took down my co2 added tank after 11 years) as well as a zebra keeper, I would not go that route. However, that doesn't mean it can not be done.

The reason I would shy away from such a setup is it is really the complete opposite of how zebras live in nature. The live in deep, warm fast flowing water. There is no light, the bottom is almost bare bedrock and is strewn with rocks and wood and areas of sand. This lets the zebras move about under cover most of the time. And zebras are happiest when they are hiding where they feel safest.

So a planted, co2 added tank is at odds with this. I have always felt that when one does a high tech planted tank, that the plants are as or more important than the fish. High current and many of the plants that might go into a tank with pressurized co2 are often not compatible as well.
thanks alot, I think i'll still give the CO2 a go ... although here in Australia a single zebra at 3cm will cost $700-800 each ...
DKn

Post by DKn »

Hello.
I am also going to buy co2 to my tank whit zebras in it.
I wounder if it work ok for you?
Regards