Urgent

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Hi, Des, thanks for info on magazine, will order it.

Yes, we have very hard water in Droitwich although the other tanks seem to have stabilised at 7.4, it's only the small one that's at 8. I thought it would reduce in time as it settled down but it hasn't - The tanks been running since March on the internal filter - external filter added 12.4.05 so it should be reasonably stable by now.

I didn't really want to start adding chemicals - I could do a few water changes with RO water but long term I would have just preferred that it found it's own level.

What do you think? - is 8ph just too high for zebras?
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Seahorse,

I cannot say whether Ph of 8 is too high, as all my tanks are a lot lower .
But I do know that Ammonia is more toxic at Alkaline Ph's i.e. over Ph7.0

Ps. You say that you dont want to add chemicals .
During the nitrification process, one of the end products is Nitric Acid which acidifies the water naturally. This , I believe, is what causes a ph crash , especially when using water with a very low ( or No) kh. With a higher KH this acid is buffered, so no ph change is noticed. The same applies if one adds ph minus( which is an acid) or dilute Phosphoric, hydrochloric or sulphuric acid and one may need to use more than one application to get the desired ph, as the ph goes acid and is then buffered back up..

However quite rightly a stable water is more important , then trying to get the ph right, with ph swings while the fish are in the tank, as they wont appreciate the ph swings :( .

Regards,
Des.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Des,

I'm hoping you are around - I have tested both tanks and the one they are currently in is 8GH (132 ppm), PH 7.4, Nitrite 0, ammonia 0 nitrate - 40ppm.

The tank I am moving them to is 10GH (179ppm) , PH 7.6, Nitrite 0, ammonia 0 Nitrate - 25.

Both tanks are at 82oC (very warm because of the weather)

Can you help me on the best way to move them over without over stressing them out too much. Not a big difference in the PH it has come down slightly in the new tank.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Seahorse,

Catch them with a net, and put in a large container or bucket ,approx capacity 2 gallons, containing approx 2" or 3 " of water from the old tank .
Then using a piece of airline with "restricter", control the flow of water from new tank into the bucket so that water flows very slowly. You can use an airstone in the bucket. When the water has doubled in the bucket, throw 50% away and carry on with the flow , until it has doubled again,after which you can net the fish and place in new tank. This process should take about half an hour.
Hope it all goes well.

Regards,
Des.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thanks Des,

I'll prepare everything tonight and do the deed tomorrow!!

I'll let you know how it goes.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

The move is done, all is well at the moment - they are on their own in the 70 litre - thanks Des for the advice.

Used a 4gal tank I had in the garage - aerator, bogwood, stop-valve with a length of line from a gravel cleaner. Added a small amount of stress coat into the new tank which trickled into the 4gal etc.etc. They were a bit hyperactive for a bit although they have calmed down nowl.

I have taken a photo from above and posted it in 'Sexing of zebras' although I am certain that the one in the front of the picture is male.