Urgent

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Jenny
Obsessed!!

Urgent

Post by Jenny »

Hi,

Did my normal water change yesterday - tested water - OK

Watching the tank tonight could see something wasn't right - tested again - Nitrite 0.50ppm

Immediately did 50% water change - tested again 0.25ppm

Added Nitrazorb - just tested again still 0.25ppm.

Should I do another 50% tonight - my zebras arn't happy - I think this is a mini cycle as I cleaned the filters last week.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

perosnally i do a water change every day not 50% mind you but not once have i had any problems, id maybe do another and see if that helps
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Seahorse,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your tank.

I would continue with the water changes, approx 25% every other day or as required to keep the nitrite at an accetable level while the tank cycles. I recommend using either Cycle by Nutrafin or Stabiity by Seachem in order to speed up the maturation process. You can add it directly to the tank or to the filter. Alternatively if you have another tank you could take some media from it's filter in order to seed the filters in the "problem" tank, I find that this is the best way to kick start a filter.
The use of ion exchange media such as Nitrazorb will slow down/inhibit the growth of filter bacteria. You should be able to control the level of nitrite through water changes alone. I would also consider adding supplementary aeration as nitrite will affect the fishes ability to absorb O2 as it oxidises the iron in the red blood cells. The extra aeration will also help with the cycling process.

As part of my own tank maintenance regime I dose with Stability by Seachem for a few days after a filter has been cleaned or following a course of medication.

How many filters do you have in the tank? Did you clean them all at once?

Good luck and Keep us posted.

Adam.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

A teaspoon of salt per gallon will also help offset the nitrite toxicity that affects how their blood can carry oxygen. It's no cure, but it will definitely help. I definitely agree with Adam, supplementing bacteria from another filter is always a good idea! This is a prime example of why it's important to have two sources of filtration in your tanks.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Hi, everyone

I did another small water change last night before retiring, no feeding yesterday, and was worried what I would find this morning. The one zebra was back in his normal position under the bogwood and had come out from under the filter at the back of the tank. Tested the water again and it is back to zero.

Both zebras have been out and about today, back to normal, and my goldy plec has calmed down. He went ballistic yesterday with the high Nitrite I had never seen him like that, he became a big bully and didn't like any fish near him.

All is calm now and I have Nutrafin Cycle which I will add to the filter today as advised - I don't really want to stop the external, will it be OK to only add it to the internal or directly into the tank? Thank you for your suggestion of supplementing the bacteria, I realise now, I should do this everytime I clean each filter. I do stagger the cleaning.

I have two filters an external Eheim 2224 and the internal Juwel for the 190 litre. I gave the external filter a good clean last week and only changed the white filter (which I do weekly) on the internal.
I think I may have rinsed too much and will remember this next time.

I am not going to feed them until tomorrow as, I think I may have been overfeeding them - I have such a variety of food and I worry that the zebras arn't being fed as they are still in the community tank.

My zebra tank is well cycled now but the PH is 8 and the tank they are in is 7.2. I worry about moving them over but I think it would be for the best as I can then see what they are eating.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Seahorse,

As Adam has suggested, I too add Cycle direct into the filter media , it works a lot better. It may be an idea, to open your external and do the same. Add just a little water to the qty required so that it can spread well through the media.
A stupid question ,but you do clean your filter media in waste tank water dont you?.I have a friend who used to clean his sponges under the tap and wondered why his fish kept on dieing?.
One last suggestion. I have found Polyfilter to be invaluable in cases like this. Will absorb Nitrite amongst other pollutants ,chemicals etc. LFS normally sell them for about £13.50 each but are available mail order for a lot less eg from Aquadabra as advertised in Practical Fishkeeping, £8.45 each or 3 for £23.50 or 10 for £74. I bought some from there last weekend,worth it as in larger qtys is almost half normal shop price.

Regards,
Des.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thanks for that Des, is this Polyfilter to replace the white or where does it go? How long does it last - I have a nitrate sponge in my Juwel filter just as a precaution although I don't really know how long or if it works. (it obviously wasn't enough this time!!!)

Yes, Des, I do clean everything in tank water - thanks for checking.

They've missed a few feeds now and I am still a bit unsure as to whether to feed them tonight. What do you think?
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Des,

I've looked for Aquadabra in Google and can't find it, do you know the full website address?

Thanks
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Seahorse,
Sorry I missedspelt their name which should be Aquacadabra.
I dont think they have a website , but advertise every month in Practical Fishkeeping.( The next issue of the same magazine due out tomorrow has an article on Breeding Zebra plecs).
Their tel no is 01322 345242 or 01322 351673.
They are based in Bexley Heath,Kent. They also have a branch in Edinburgh.
To use Polyfilter, just place in External or Internal filter or on top of Undergravel.
It will change colour depending on what it has absorbed. If organics, will turn brown. Ready to be changed when very dark brown,if cut and the inside is still white or lighter in colour you can carry on using that piece. You can cut the polyfilter into 2, and use one piece to fit inside the top of the Juwel filter.( I got my friend to do the same as he also has a Juwel tank).
Since you have already done a few water changes and have added Cycle it should be OK to feed them.

Regards,
Des.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Des,

I subscribe to the magazine and have had mine already, I'll look up the Company, the article on Zebras wasn't long enough :(

I use white filters on all my filters as a norm, changing the Juwel white filter weekly and the external about every three months - is the polyfilter you're talking about any different?
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Seahorse,

Went to the newsagent today to buy my copy of Julys issue of Practical Fishkeeping but they hadnt yet received their copies. Was keen to read the zebra article.
( I had co-written a zebra article, a while back, for the next issue of Tropical World magazine, available at some lfs's and mail order, which should also be out any day now.)
The white filter that you use is a fibre filter, used as a mechanical filter. The polyfilter looks similar but acts mainly as a chemical filter and is is a formation of a special patented material bound to a synthethic matrix, which absorb and adsorb contaminants and other toxic materials. It is distributed by www.underworldproducts.co.uk

Regards,
Des.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thanks, Des, for info I'll definately get some of that, it would ease my mind a bit, I really must transfer the zebras to their own tank - I have never had a problem with the water in what will be the zebra tank but I will have to acclimatise them slowly because of the higher PH and, for some reason, I am just concerned about stressing them out but I think they are ready to move as they might get some peace and they're a bit older now.

My lfs has Tropical Fish magazine, another job for the weekend - get your article on zebras.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi seahorse,

I'm glad to hear that you got through the nitrite problem without suffering any fatalities. The polyfilter that Des has suggested sounds like good stuff, it's certainly good to have something like this as a backup. I read the PFK article and it was pretty good, however there is more info to be had here. It's still worth a read though, read it twice myself just to make sure I hadn't missed anything. :lol:

Providing the new setup you have for the zebras is well cycled I would move the zebras to their new home. If you have fish in there that have been helping to cycle the tank I would remove them first before adding the zebras. The filter(s) may noy be able to deal with a sudden increase in the bioload.

Adam
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Adam,

Yes I know I should move them, why am I so nervous, I don't think twice if I move others!! They have quite a rough ride in the community tank although they stand up for themselves when the loaches/ghost shrimps/african dwarf frogs/corys/other plecos all want to live under their chosen piece of bogwood. They have survived and grown well and push fish bigger than them out of the way.

I have the weekend free so I'll do the water change in all the tanks, do my testing, and then move them. The tank is quite basic, no substrate, one piece of bogwood with java fern attached - I shall add a couple of caves - I still don't know if I have two males or a pair. The one is definately a male IMO but I am unsure about the other - I can only hope otherwise it's out with the credit card to try and purchase some more!!

I have 2 small L199 and a small L273 in the tank at the moment (The danios which cycled the tank are back in 55gal tank - The L273 will go in the 42 gal tank. I would like to leave the L199 in with the zebras - is this an option or could I have a problem with interbreeding.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Seahorse,

The magazine is Tropical World NOT Tropical Fish.
The link below shows stockists and other info.
http://tropicalworldmagazine.com/

Ps: If youre worried about the PH difference you can add some ph down, and monitor for a couple of days, PRIOR to adding Zebras. It may need a couple of applications. By the way, why is the PH 8 ? IS your water hard and alkaline?

Regards,
Des.