L199 False Zebra Plecs Breeding conditions?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ChrisD

L199 False Zebra Plecs Breeding conditions?

Post by ChrisD »

Hi,

i've tried to do some research on this and found absolutely nothing! but since this species comes from the same river as L046 and is a related species, i'm reconing the breeding conditions are similar/the same for both species. i am soon to be setting up a 3' breeding tank and 3' rearing tank, which will house a total of 8 L199s.

Anyway, what pH should i aim for? water softness? black water or clear? foods for conditioning? and what size should i grow the plecs to before attempting to breed?

the current setup idea is a sloping bed of gravel with a powerhead and ehim 2212 internal filter at the shallow end. this will create a current which will weaken as it reaches the opposite side of the tank due to the water deepening. there will also be some chunks of slate held up at an angle away from the current to create a cave behind the water flow (if you get me) these will have a current above them, but should be quite calm inside providing possible breeding sites.

to prevent water circling around in the tank, there will be a UG filterplate under all the gravel with more coarse gravel at the far end, less deep than the rest of the substrate (i might fiddle with the idea of 2 small inlets). this will take the water from the far end of the tank, under the filter plate and back out through the pumps, preventing weird things happening with the current :lol:

i hope this lot's made sense, any ideas/suggestions on the setup, and more importantly the questions asked at the start of the topic, please fire away!

Chris :wink:
Chris

http://fight-back.cage-n_aviary.info/V1/index.php
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi ChrisD,

Apologies for not answering earlier.
L199 have the same breeding requirements as other Hypancistrus such as L046 etc. See some details here:
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=807
Also very useful are the Breeding lectures by L. Vires and others, on Planet Catfish.
Sexing them is also the same for Hypancistrus species.
You will know when they are ready as the females will get very plump, just behind the pectoral fins. The males should be showing "male characteristics".
What are your water parameters?.PH,GH,KH, and temp?.

Des.
ChrisD

Post by ChrisD »

Hi mate,

thanks for the reply. i would tell you my water perameters etc, but i'm planning ahead! i am soon to be getting a 36" x 18" x 18" tank for this purpose, and have knocked up a few designs one of whick will ensure a pretty strong current in just the one direction. i reckon i'll have the tank in 2 weeks, and will then start building up on the equipment before getting more L199s oncethe tank is up, running, and cycled :D

if theres anything else you can tell me i will be most greatfull,

Cheers, Chris :wink:
Chris

http://fight-back.cage-n_aviary.info/V1/index.php
kkorotev

Post by kkorotev »

Be aware, however, that the Hypancistrus furunculus; L199 gets considerably bigger than a zebra. Don't expect spawns from L199 of adult zebra size. My furunculus were nearly 4" before they were mature enough.
Kevin Korotev
Milwaukee, WI , USA