white spot

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

sparkee
Groupie

white spot

Post by sparkee »

a couple of days ago i added some new plants to my zebra tank, i rinsed them in ro water and thought that would be ok. today i noticed little white spots on my large male but not on any others. ive treated with esha. is there anything else i can do to make sure i dont lose him???
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi sparkee,

The Esha exit treatment should do the trick, you could also have raised the tank temp to 86F as Ich can not survive at temperatures above 83F. The L236 I got recently contracted Ich not long after I brought them home, I was able to get rid of the Ich by raising the tank temp and doing daily water changes.

Check out this thread: http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... white+spot
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi sparkee,

As Adam said,Esha EXIT which is for all spot diseases ( not Esha 2000 which is for Bacterial and fungal problems) should do the trick if treated with the dosage rates as per the leaflet or you could try Waterlife Protozin which is used on Days 1,2,3 and 6 . ( I have used both with no adverse effects)
If you prefer you can use both ESHA 2000 and ESHA EXIT in parrallel as a good overall quarantine treatment.

Des.
sparkee
Groupie

Post by sparkee »

ive used both ESHA 2000 and ESHA EXIT to be on the safe side.
ive also raised the temp to 29c with i think is 84f
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Bl**dy whitespot!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi

I too have just got my first outbreak of whitespot for a long time after introducing some new discus to my community tank, containing all my L134s :x

I have gone for the heat treatment. You really need 30C for approx ten days to adequately kill of the parasite. Obviously loads more oxygen is needed, including water changes.

However, if you are using chemicals, inreasing the temp. will only add additional stress, and 29C will not help all that much anyway. The Esha will do the job.

Good luck

Tom
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Sparkee,

Make sure you complete the course of medication which I think is over 3 days.
You say you raised the temp to 84F. What was it before?. Zebras prefer a temp of approx 84F and tend not to do as well, at lower temps.

Des.
sparkee
Groupie

Post by sparkee »

the temp is between 29 c and 30 c. he is looking much better today, with no spots showing. the temp before was 28 c.