Strange Lesion Like Mark

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Strange Lesion Like Mark

Post by Rob »

Hi Guys

Got up yesterday morning to see a slight lesion like mark on one of my females.

This morning it has doubled in size, initially I thought it was just some discolouration in the fish, but now I'm slightly nervous.

All parameters are as always, only difference in the tank is that I removed a spare male about 3 weeks ago.

The surface is smooth, with no sign of fungus, although the area does seem to be slightly indented.

Has anyone got any ideas. I have several fry in the tank so I am nervous about treating. The only other things in the tank are a coupe of red horn snails for looking after eggs!

Hopefully

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Rob,

I know you are not infavour of medication, but I would use a 3 day standard dosage course of ESHA 2000 in this case.
As stated on the leaflet accompanying the bottle, it treats primary and secondary fungal infections,bacterial skin infections and skin/gill parasites. An added advantage is its ability to assist wound healing and to protect the skin layer.
I have used it before in a tank containing zebra fry without any ill effects.

Regards,
Des
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Cheers Des

I haven't got any ESHA 2000, but I do have some Huey Hung H2 & H3, which is a similar compound. Have you ever seen enything like this veofre, as it has me completely stumped!

I think you are right though, she is one of my primary spawners so I don't want to take the chance of it getting worse.

I will check out the internet now for some ESHA2000, ans see what the delivery is on it.

Thanks

Rob
Adam

Post by Adam »

Rob,

Those lesions on your female look very strange, I have never seen any disease be it bacterial or viral that develops in this way or that leaves such a precise circular mark. It would almost appear be be some sort of physical damage. This is just a wild guess but do you have a heater in the tank that doesn't have a guard on it?

I agree with Des' recommended course of treatment, just started a Esha2000 course on my community tank as I noticed some of the fish flicking. It's early days but I have already noticed improvement. I have heard and read a lot of good things about the range of Esha treatments. The Huey Hung treatments you have are good and I have had excellent results with a H2 and H3 combination treatment against NTD. However I would personally opt for the Esha2000 as it has more of a proven track record and I'm sure Des would agree.

Let us know how you get on.

Adam
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Adam

I'm pretty sure it isn't heater burn as it has prgressed over night, and the heater it at the top surface of the tank well away from the fish.

The ESHA Medication can be delivered to me by Wednesday or Thursday, hopefully it won't have rpogressed any by then. I will give her a slight dab with methly blue until then to try and keep it at bay (if it is fungal).

Cheers guys

Rob
Adam

Post by Adam »

Rob,

You can try this place if you haven't already bought it online, this is where I got my Esha2000 from and loads of other stuff. They deliver pretty quick and their service seems to be pretty good.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/listse ... 0&rets=219

Adam
Adam

Post by Adam »

Rob,

I hope you don't mind me saying but be careful when you swab your female with methyl blue. I would dry the affected area first with a bit of kitchen towel and lightly swab the affected area with a cotton bud dipped in the M.B. Tilt the fishes head up so that any excess M.B. will run away from the gill opening. This should avoid any of the treatment running into the gills and causing damage.

Sorry mate you probably already knew this anyway.

Adam
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Cheers For that Adam.

Two of by best friends those.....aquaticsonline and the good old cotton bud!!!! :lol: :lol: Obviously the Turkey Baster is in there too!!!

The order is placed, and my wives pack of cotton buds sopmehow made it's way to the tank stand some time ago, (much to her horror).

Hows the eggs doing?

rob
Adam

Post by Adam »

No probs man,

I just didn't want to see your prized female sustain anymore damage. You see I have a vested interest in the welfare of your zebras and so do many others here, WE WANT YOUR BABIES :lol: . Seriously though I picked up a lot of useful tips from my koi keeping days and the physical application of treatments on fish is serious stuff. If not done correctly it can do more harm than good.

Nice to hear about your two new found friends, looks like I'll be renewing my aquaintance with Mr turkey baster pretty soon :lol: . My fish medicine cabinet has been raided by the Mrs for cotton buds and kitchen towel a couple of times, must put a lock on it someday :lol: .

The eggs that I have seen appear to be fertile as they are no longer clear but are now yellowish in colour. The male does a pretty good job of covering them up when he feels threatened. I will try and get some more pictures, male zebra permitting.

Keep us posted on your female.

Adam
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Rob,

Arent there any LFS near you that stock the eSHa products?. I'm sure there must be.
If not, I think you need to move down south, mind you, bring your scottish water with you !!!!!!!!!!

Adam,
If your fish are flicking, it would be advisable to use ESHA EXIT ( which is a treatment for protozoans, white spot etc) in combination with ESHA 2000.

Regards,
Des.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Des, I realised that I needed Esha Exit as well but only after I had already bought Esha2000 :oops: . The Esha Exit should be with me by Tuesday, It still should be ok to continue treating with only Esha2000 until then?
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Adam,

Yes it is ok to use them seperately.
Using both of them together ( the 3 day standard dose, normal dose on day 1 , half dose on days 2 and 3) is especially useful when Quarantining new fish.

Regards,
Des.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Rob,

In all my years of fishkeeping I have not seen such damage on a fish. Like Adam says, it is very uniform. My gut feeling is some form of external damage. The fact the lesion is growing would now suggest bacterial infection. But if your water quality is good then this is strange so maybe you are right to fear something more serious.

If you are going to treat direct to this lesion I would recommend acriflavine.

Good luck, let us know how things work out.

Regards

Tom
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Quick Update.
The lesion does not appear to be increasing in size, although all colour has now gone from the area. I am slightly worried that it appears to be getting below the level of the skin.

I received my ESHA 2000 this morning, (excellent service), and have started the treatement. Here's hoping.

Unfortunately I am in birmingham tonight, and I don't get back until thursday night, so my wife is under strict instructions!!! :lol:

Cheers for the help guys, If she does ok and has another spawn, I'll name the fry after you all!!!! :wink:

Rob
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Rob wrote:I received my ESHA 2000 this morning, (excellent service), and have started the treatement. Here's hoping.
Fingers crossed for you Rob!! I actually have used Esha 2000 not too long ago and found it to be very effective whilse being "delicate" enough for the fish. I treated a tank with L66 and Numerous Corydoras without any ill effects what so ever.

Good luck to you dood!
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]