What the h... is happening

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Adam

Post by Adam »

Tom,

That's quite a stud you have there :lol: . Personally I would try to give him a break just incase he burns himself out. You might want to stop stimulating spawns for a while so that he gets a rest. If he is spending a lot of time in his cave which he obviously is then he may not be getting enough food/recovery time. That's a hell of a lot of spawns since January, perhaps he knows that zebras are endangered and he is trying to do his bit to preserve his kind :lol: .

Adam
Tom Kvitnes
Groupie

Post by Tom Kvitnes »

Hi Adam !

I have asked a few questions here about it, and the advice i get is to let him go on, anyway i dont know how to stop him. I havent done any simulation to get him going he just does.
I you have any advice i will be thankful.
My idea was to remove his cave but he does not give me a chance, always having fry and or eggs inside.

I posted some fry pics here
http://www.plecoworld.com/forum/viewtop ... =1180#1180

Regards

Tom
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Congratulations, Tom, you must have an ideal set up. Have you posted any photographs of you tank set up or perhaps you could let us know the secret of your success :lol:

They look very healthy fry - I can only dream as I only have one zebra at the moment, picking up the second at the weekend, but then knowing my luck they will both be the same sex - saving the third.
Tom Kvitnes
Groupie

Post by Tom Kvitnes »

i would be embarassed to post pics of my set up, it is the uglyest i have ever seen.

The set up is mainly rocks, slate,caves and som wood.
2 external pumps and one internal, a total turnover about 12-15 times.

In the beginning i tried everything to get them going, but nothing happend.
After about 1.5 years i sold out 4 males and bought 9 new ones, not actually knowing what gender they where. I now have 11 zebras.
I think i have 4-5 females and 6-7 males.
I left them alone for about 2 months, put up a curtain in front of the tank so they could have a little peace, and was a little neverminded about the whole ting.
I was a bit lacy with the water changing altso, and when i after nearly a month decided to change water, i spotted the female in the males cave for the first time. And since that they have been going constantly.
I feed them mainly frosen bloodworms and tetrabits(diskus)

If you want a pic of the set up just mail me
tkvitnes@tiscali.no

Regards

Tom
Last edited by Tom Kvitnes on Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi Tom,

I had a very similar episode. During November, December, and part of January, the male had a total of 11 spawns with 2 to 3 females. They were pretty close to being back to back spawns. Even with all that spawning this male only produce 15 baby zebras. Most of the time he would end up eating or kicking out the eggs and there would only be 1 or 2 survivers. This particular male is fairly young and was only 2.75 inches. Since the middle of January he has stopped all spawning activity and nolonger reside in a cave. I suppose he is recouping or burnt out. I hope he will resume spawing soon with more success.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

My zebras are on a temporary hiatus also. Their last spawn was Christmas day. It will be interesting to see if everyone's start going with a bang all about the same time, I'd think. That might indicate light and other factors besides just the water parameters stimulating them. Then again, the poor boys could just be overworked and need a break ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]