Building interior.....

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

So....this is what it looks like now:

The Polystyrene in place in the largest terrace.

And a front view with the new backdrop in place....

I know hamish99... I'm ashamed to cut it up... really... but considering it builds 25cm in a 50cm deep tank..... it's nice for a while :) They are more suitable for larger tanks really...
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Looking good McEve!! Very cool!!

How are you planning on sealing the gaps round the polystyrean? (sp?) Although the gaps are small/thin, they will still be 20cm deep in places....aren't you worried the sand may become stagnant (sp?) down there?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The largest gaps will be filled with large round stones, type 5cm wide, 1cm thick. And I will keep my trusty sandsnails as well, so I'm not too worried about the sand forming pockets (sp)

I'm feeling pretty confident it will work out - but I've felt confident before and I've had my fair share of disasters in life :lol:

I'm more worried about the coconuthair ...
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi McEve, the project is coming along nicely :D . I don't mean to throw a spanner in the works but I think you may be taking a chance with the polystyrene. Personally I would use the blue type that is a lot more rigid than the white crumbly type, it would however be more difficult to work with. My worry is that if it becomes exposed then it could be inadvertently eaten by the fish leading to intestinal blockages.

Alternatively you could use something similar to this, check out the foam waterfall stuff on this site. Looks like pretty easy stuff to work with.

http://www.pondusa.com/filter1.htm

Sorry for messing with your project.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thank you for messing with my project Adam! That's what I need :)

I have sealed all the edges, smelting them with a lighter (not recommended - it gets darned hot! *ouch*). Do you still think this could be a problem..? There will be about 10cm of sand on top of the polystyrene, but then again, I've seen catfish dig deeper than that before.... darn... didn't think of that..
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

What if I silicone pepples all over it, or cover it with some kind of mesh? what do you think? It's kinda too late to remove it as it's all stuck pretty firmly into place.... :?
Adam

Post by Adam »

I would try covering it with a good layer of silicone, that should prevent the fish getting at it. At least you don't have to worry about it breaking down and polluting your water, it takes about 400 years :shock: .

Sorry :oops: .
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Don't be sorry, it's this kind of feedback I need.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

That is a nice back drop on that site!! :shock:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Here's the initial setup, there's bound to be changed... but it's a start. Never mind the cloudy water, It's so fresh that I haven't had time to shower yet :roll: It's hard work isn't it... wonder why I do this really.... :P

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

McEve

That is absolutely astounding. I love the way the layers work. Only one question, What is the red triangular thing at the back?

I think I'm going to need to save some cash, looks like the bottom tank of my 3 teir set-up might be getting an overhall soon!!! :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It's a red rock, might be a bit too red to be placed whre it's at right now though :lol:

I'm glad you like it, I kinda like the effect myself :) Let me know if you need some bits to build the layers, I have several wrongly cut pieces left over :lol:

here's from a different angle....

Adam

Post by Adam »

Great work McEve, that looks fantastic. I think you might have just found yourself a lucrative little sideline there. What did you do to the polystyrene in the end?

Your tank looks like one in the effects range, I've got one of those except it's in the aluminium finish.

Nice work :D .
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

That looks really cool. Very natural looking after all the handy work you have put in!!
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

McEve that look beautiful!! well done did you fill it up after the sand was in place? is that why is it slightly cloudy? the blue polystyrean adam was on about is called "jablite" or "sellotex" my boyfriend is a builder i am not that clever lol