Building interior.....

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Building interior.....

Post by McEve »

I'm building terraces in a new tank I'm setting up and would like your input as to wether you think this will work or not.

I started by cutting up an old backdrop in two different heights, 20cm and 8cm.

I cut the edges in an angle so that the sand will cover most of the edges, and used silicon to glue coconut "hair" on them, to make it look better. I also put silikon on top of the coconut "hair" to seal it in just in case it rots after a while.

I then made some caves, and cut holes through the pieces witch I pushed the caves through. I sealed the holes with silicon on the backside to prevent sand leaking through later.

Tje caves are of various sizes, and I also used a round glass vase just in case somebody would want to use a round cave. All the caves will be covered in sand, so hopefully even the glass one will feel safe enough to use...

I will mount a 3D backdrop later, as soon as it gets here in the mail, and I will use expanded polyester to fill up the largest terrace so I don't have to put 20cm of sand in there.. I will also use silicon to seal all the edges side and bottom so that the sand doesn't leak down to the next level.

Did I overlook something that could cause problems with this setup later? Any ideas on how to complete this setup so that it will work and look the best possible way?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I have no idea if it would work or any advice that would benifit you, but i would like to say that looks amazing!! such a genius idea!! well done! and good luck with it
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Damn thats both creative and ingenius!! REALLY COOL!!

Only problem I could see was the thickness of the sand. But it seems you have that covered....hope this doesn't sound stupid, but...could you describe a little more wat you mean when you say....
McEve wrote:and I will use expanded polyester to fill up the largest terrace so I don't have to put 20cm of sand
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi McEve,

Fantastic, now I know why you weren't on the forum much this weekend :lol: .

I've seen something similar done at an LFS some time ago, I think it was referred to as an amazonian river biotope or something similar. The only thing different was that the terraces were built across the width of the tank. I dont think that it would make much difference that yours are the length of the tank. I like the intergrated caves, presumably you will be leaving any young born in this set up with the parents. Would the polyester filler be the spray stuff out of a can? If so, I'm sure you've checked it out already, make sure that it's fish safe. Apart from that I really can't envisage any problems with the project. It should be spectacular when it's finished, please post some pictures when it's completed.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

This has been keeping me busy for sure, it's great fun, but also a bit scary, as I've never done anything like this before and just hope I don't make any stupid mistakes.

Doc, I bought a large sheet of polyester foam (I think this is what it's called in English... isopor is our name for it) It's 5cm thick, 50cm wide and 150cm long. I'll cut pieces to fit behind the last terrace, building it up so that I only need about an inch or two of sand on top, + whatever falls into cracks of course. I'll take a picture when I get that far. Right now it's the backdrop that's hodling me back, it was sent today so I'm just crossing my fingers I get it before easter.

Adam, I will leave any youngsters with the parents, IF I get any. This setup kinda forces me to leave them alone, and that might be a good thing! :lol:

Thanks Shell, I'm excited to see how it all works out too.

I'm glad to hear you all think it might work out ok :)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

McEve wrote:
Doc, I bought a large sheet of polyester foam (I think this is what it's called in English... isopor is our name for it) It's 5cm thick, 50cm wide and 150cm long.
Styrofoam..?!
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Ah!! It was a stupid question after all :P

Cheers McEve. I really, really look forward to the completion of this tank....its a fantasic idea...one which i feel may benifit me once the fish house is up n running....if you dont mind :wink:
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Polystyrene. That's what it's called here in the UK. Styrofoam in the US... I believe. :wink:

Your set up looks good. Very imaginative. It will be interesting to see how it works out!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Dr. P wrote:one which i feel may benifit me once the fish house is up n running....if you dont mind :wink:
I'd be flattered 8) But it's not like this is my idea... I, like Adam, has seen similar setup elsewhere, and I always wanted to try and make something like it....

And... there's no stupid questions - especially not when it comes to trying to interpret what I try to say :lol:

Thanks Mindy, I'll remember that :)
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Mc Eve

You ingenuity astounds me!!! It looks fantastic, even my wife is in awe!!!!

It will be fantastric for forming territories, as the zebras can feed on both levels. The coconut hair is fantastic.

Where about's did you get the backdrop?

I think you deserve a drink!!

Rob :wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Rob, I'll let hubby know I deserve a drink, maybe I can get him to open that Cognac for me :lol:

I'm not sure how to put this though..... but..... the tank isn't meant for the Zebras..... I guess I should run for cover now :lol: It's meant for the L260's I have, the poor things are crowded with a bunch of boisterious Snowballs at present and really need a new home.

The backdrop came with the tank, I bought it secondhand. I got a confirmation that the backdrop I ordered was sent today, so I hope to get it before easter......
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

GREAT JOB, McEve!!! ........even though its not for the zebras!!! :evil: They deserve a home like that as well!....j/k :wink:

My question is what type of rock is that and how did you cut it? I was setting up a 60gal for my zebras and I might just change my interior to something similar.......it looks pretty cool!!!

-Jerms
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Jerms :D

It's a BackToNature Amazonas backdrop..... I wasn't able to sell it, so it was just sitting here not being used. I know, it's not the kind of thing you usually would cut to pieces, but I found it took too much space in a 250L and didn't want to use it for that reason.

I've heard that 250L is too large for Zebrafry, apparently they don't get to find enough food when they're in larger tanks, that's why I don't want to this tank to be for them. But maybe that's not a concern? What do you think?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I have every faith in this idea McEvE !
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »