U.V or not U.V that is the question

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

U.V or not U.V that is the question

Post by DANthirty »

Hi guys

When i stopped keeping marine fish i had 2 tmc uv sterilisers left over, so i thought that i would use them for my 2 fresh water tropical tanks , i was just wondering if anybody else uses them for there tanks and if there were any downsides off using them especially in my planted tank, as i hear that they could kill off benificial bacteria??
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I have heard good and bad about uv filters. One fishkeeping aquaintance installed one and said that wounds and scrapes healed much more quickly and his fish were in perfect health and would reccommend uv filtration to everyone.
I have never used it but am toying with the idea on my overstocked mbuna tanks as they are always biting chunks etc out of each other, some of which get infected from time to time. I figure that a uv would decrease the healing time.
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Adam

Post by Adam »

I use to have a TMC 15 watt UV sterilizer on a community tank I was running years ago. Like Tristan said there are some benefits to be had. I stopped using mine as it was restricting the waterflow of my canister filter and I got fed up cleaning the quartz sleeve. I've been thinking of putting it back on my heavily stocked community tank, mainly because of the NTD. Then I found out that protozoa require high doses of UV and that my unit was just not strong enough. I thought about increasing the contact time but I would have to reduce the flow rate to a trickle so I've shelved the idea.

I cant say that my fish were any healthier when I used a UV sterilizer. However it's fact that the back ground bacteria count within an aquarium will be greatly reduced by the germicidal effect of UV. This is why wounds appear to heal quicker. The down side to using a UV is fish that have lived in such sterile conditions seem to lose some of their natural resistance to fight disease and some medications will be ineffective while UV is in use.

Personally I think that UV should only be used when the occupants of an aquarium have health problems, under these conditions you will be reducing the incidence of secondary bacterial infections by lowering the overall bacteria count in the aquarium. Forget using a UV steriliser if you have a soft water setup that is peat filtered or you have a high tannin content in the water. High DOC levels greatly affect the penetration distance of UV light.

If you want an even more effective means of killing pathogens in your aquarium consider an ozone sterilizer or even a combination UV and ozone sterilizer. However these units are generally only used on the marine side of the hobby.
Tom26000

Post by Tom26000 »

I personally think UVs are only required if you run a centralised system, marine tank or have very expensive fish (i.e. marines and koi). Although thinking about it I bet some on this list have well over £1000 of Zebra plec in their tanks.

Marines are often kept with inverts and therefore chemical treatment is very difficult so UVs often snuff out problems before they can take hold.

Centralised systems obviously benefit from UVs to help prevent cross-contamination of tanks.

I personally believe UVs used over the long term may reduce the immunity of young fish.

I could waffle on but IMO I would stick it the good old fashioned keep it simple method.

Cheers

Tom
FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

Useful Heating Info

Post by FrankJScott »

In response to the lady inquiring about furnace service near me, new heating system, geothermal repair near me, plumbing and heating engineer near me, central heating system for home, bryant heating and cooling near me, I highly recommend this new AC cleaning service site or oil boiler servicing near me, mr d's plumbing, heil heating and cooling, electric home furnace, heating installation near me, heat pump emergency heat, not to mention this best heating installation service link not to mention oil boilers for home heating, heating and air conditioning service near me, furnace not heating, ingrams heating and air, 5 star heating and air, heating and air conditioning systems, and don't forget this new AC installation service link which is also great. Also have a look at this great AC installation service forum and don't forget plumbing heating and cooling near me, heating and air, air source heat pump engineers near me, new boiler installation, boiler emergency, k & t heating, as well as this recommended plumbing cleaning service tips alongside all hutchinson heating and cooling, home air conditioner repair near me, haining plumbing, goyette heating and cooling, heating and air near me, lennox heating, and don't forget high rated heating installation service details which is also worth a look. I also recommend this recommended heating repair service details on top of allgood heating and air, one hour air conditioning & heating, heating and air, heating and air service near me, geothermal heating, family heating and air conditioning, on top of this best AC cleaning service advice and don't forget affordable hvac, air heating system, installing a heat pump in an existing home, heating and air near me, care heating and cooling, forced air heating system, as well as recommended heating cleaning service link which is also great. Finally, have a look at this top rated plumbing installation service details for good measure. Check more Cool Heating TipsSite 32d8c7f
Sobhi90
Obsessed!!

Re: U.V or not U.V that is the question

Post by Sobhi90 »

FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

Top Trash Can Details

Post by FrankJScott »

To the guy asking about black trash bin, itouchless trash can lid, simplehuman sensor bin, undersink trash can, simplehuman custom fit liners, pet proof trash can, I highly suggest this recommended trash can deal or deck trash can, target trash bin, blue recycling bin, a garbage can, garbage bucket, 64 gallon garbage can, alongside all this best trash can info on top of behrens 31 gallon trash can, large metal trash can, 30 gallon trash can, townew t1, red trash bin, barrel trash can, as well as this excellent trash can make which is also great. Also have a look at this best trash can item on top of mesh wastebasket, simplehuman gold trash can, behrens steel trash can, garbage recycling bin, door mounted trash can, paper recycling bin, on top of this updated trash can product not to mention cardboard trash can, simplehuman step trash can, trash can with lid 13 gallon, simple human trash liners, triple trash can, 96 gallon garbage can, not to mention excellent trash can make which is also worth a look. I also suggest this top rated trash can make and don't forget rubbermaid brute trash can, small plastic garbage can with lid, touchless trash can vacuum, rubbermaid garbage can lid, outside trash cans, simplehuman h bags alternative, not to mention this awesome trash can product on top of simplehuman dual bin, red garbage cans, 32 gallon trash can with wheels and attached lid, steel garbage bin, trash cans at lowe's, car garbage bin, not to mention recommended trash can model which is also great. Finally, have a look at this new trash can info for good measure. Have a look at this new tibetan singing bowl product too in case you missed it. Check more Top Heavy Equipment Blog d8c7f68
FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

Top Crocs Shoes Blog

Post by FrankJScott »

In reply to the person inquiring about crocs men's literide, crocs camouflage fashion sneakers, mineral blue crocs, kitchen crocs, serena crocs, crocs near me, I highly suggest this top crocs shoes deal or pink fur lined crocs, red lined crocs, crocs literide white, black lined crocs, western crocs, white crocs womens, alongside all this recommended crocs shoes product as well as crocs clogs for women, khaki crocs womens, balenciaga platform crocs, crocs corporate office, crocs duet sport clog, duet sport clog, as well as this recommended crocs shoes product which is also great. Also have a look at this useful crocs shoes make alongside all crocs ladies slippers, crocs nurses week, crocs official, crocs leather clogs, crocs flip flops clearance, crocs literide sale, on top of this new crocs shoes item not to mention croc style shoes, mens fur lined crocs, crocs monterey wedge, blue bandana crocs, crocs dual comfort flip flops, crocs winter puff, alongside all high rated crocs shoes deal which is also worth a look. I also suggest this awesome crocs shoes make alongside all adidas crocs shoes, crocs slip on, crocs price, crocs with fur amazon, crocs ladies shoes, lakers crocs, on top of this top crocs shoes info alongside all crocband clog, crocs platform clogs, famous footwear crocs, crocs amazon prime, disney cars crocs, budweiser crocs, on top of new crocs shoes deal which is also great. Finally, have a look at this high rated crocs shoes info for good measure. Check more Excellent Keg Dispenser Info f68d2b0
FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

Recommended Crocs Shoes Info

Post by FrankJScott »

In reply to the person inquiring about crocs duet max 2 post malone pink, crocs monterey, coca cola crocs, designer jibbitz for crocs, nike monarch crocs, crocs with fur, I highly recommend this awesome crocs shoes info or crocs mineral blue, croc heels balenciaga, donut crocs, journeys kidz crocs, halloween crocs, crocs retailers, as well as this new crocs shoes make alongside all mineral blue fuzzy crocs, black classic crocs, crocs tiktok, crocs women's brooklyn low wedge, crocs on sale women's, hello kitty jibbitz, not to mention this great crocs shoes make which is also great. Also have a look at this excellent crocs shoes deal not to mention crocs casual shoes, crocs flip, crocs duet max 2 post malone pink, high heel crocs amazon, crocs factory outlet near me, croc tennis shoes, not to mention this great crocs shoes deal and don't forget balenciaga and crocs, glow in the dark jibbitz, croc jibbitz amazon, palace crocs, neon pink crocs, crocs store, alongside all great crocs shoes product which is also worth a look. I also suggest this best crocs shoes make alongside all crocs walking shoes, crocs monterey strappy wedge, space jam crocs, light green crocs, crocs outlet store, balenciaga clogs, on top of this top crocs shoes model on top of crocs women's fur shoes, steelers crocs, red platform crocs, crocband clog, crocs plaid shoes, croc sneakers, alongside all updated crocs shoes model which is also great. Finally, have a look at this awesome crocs shoes model for good measure. Check more High Rated Beer Dispenser Details f68d2b0
FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

New Crocs Shoes Info

Post by FrankJScott »

To the guy talking about white crocs with fur, crocs pier park, most comfortable crocs, post malone crocs jibbitz, finish line crocs, black clear crocs, I highly recommend this top crocs shoes info or crocs merrell shoes, croc type shoes, crocs black friday 2020, dora crocs, neon crocs, crocs usa sale, and don't forget this useful crocs shoes item as well as crocodile sneakers, clear pink crocs, crocs brooklyn high wedge, red crocs with fur, amazon crocs flip flops, roller crocs, and don't forget this updated crocs shoes item which is also great. Also have a look at this top crocs shoes product alongside all crocs bistro pro literide, bieber crocs, black croc ankle boots, crocs full force, slate gray crocs, crocs jewel, not to mention this new crocs shoes model and don't forget white crocs with grey fur, crocs for sale near me, zara crocs, crocs bae white, light blue fuzzy crocs, crocs meleen, not to mention best crocs shoes item which is also worth a look. I also recommend this updated crocs shoes item not to mention crocodile dress shoes, mens classic crocs, crocs smiley, crocs women's fur shoes, crocs boat shoes, crocs literide sneakers, and don't forget this best crocs shoes deal as well as crocs literide men, mermaid crocs, crocs website, crocs nike shoes, birkenstock crocs, crocs 2021, alongside all recommended crocs shoes deal which is also great. Finally, have a look at this updated crocs shoes item for good measure. Check more Best Beer Dispenser Blog f503aea
FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

New Workbench Details

Post by FrankJScott »

For the person asking about ultra hd rolling workbench, craftsman rotary tool bench, work bench cabinet, shop work table, seville rolling workbench, work bench tops, I highly recommend this recommended workbench make or diy small workbench, professional woodworker foldable workbench, outdoor workbench with storage, best foldable workbench, husky 61 workbench, diy folding workbench, and don't forget this best workbench info alongside all mcalister workbench, clamping workbench, bosch tool bench toy, under workbench storage, husky portable workbench, heavy duty mobile workbench, alongside all this recommended workbench item which is also great. Also have a look at this updated workbench deal as well as whalen industrial workbench, collapsable work bench, heavy duty outdoor workbench, worx bench, under workbench storage drawers, step 2 tool bench, on top of this top rated workbench item and don't forget tool bench, black & decker workmate foldable workbench, toy workbench, modular work bench, husky 4 ft workbench, harbor freight work bench, alongside all top rated workbench product which is also worth a look. I also suggest this recommended workbench info on top of workshop drawers, garage shelving and workbench, bosch work bench toy, hyper tough workbench, rolling shop table, husky 4 ft workbench, alongside all this excellent workbench item on top of childrens tool workbench, melamine workbench, snap on workbench, diy steel workbench, kreg folding work table, cmst22951rb, alongside all best workbench model which is also great. Finally, have a look at this recommended workbench deal for good measure. Check more High Rated Tiibetan Singing Bowl Details cccf503
FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

Top Rated Digital Microsope TipsSite

Post by FrankJScott »

To the lady asking about cyclops microscope, stpctou wireless digital microscope, celestron 44341 lcd digital microscope ii, andonstar adsm201 microscope, dino lite 5mp, usb phone microscope, I highly recommend this top rated digital microscope product or mustool g1200 digital microscope, amscope 5mp camera, ash omni microscope, dm3 microscope, moko microscope, 2500x microscope, as well as this high rated digital microscope item not to mention microscope digital ways, 1000x camera zoom, usb phone microscope, 500x zoom camera phone, veho discovery microscope, nikon digital microscope camera, not to mention this new digital microscope item which is also great. Also have a look at this high rated digital microscope product and don't forget display microscope, jiusion digital microscope mac, celestron 5 mp, usb digital microscope camera, celestron 44341 lcd digital microscope, best budget usb microscope, alongside all this new digital microscope make alongside all digital microscope 7 inch hd display, celestron microscope 44348, best usb microscope for electronics, zorb digital microscope, microscope wireless, digitech 5mp usb microscope camera, as well as high rated digital microscope deal which is also worth a look. I also suggest this new digital microscope info and don't forget dino lite edge microscope, tetraview celestron, moticam, amscope mu300, andowl digital microscope, professional digital microscope, on top of this top digital microscope product and don't forget digital microscope plugable, digital microscope pro, digital microscope shopee, digital microscope with monitor, jiusion wifi usb digital handheld microscope, andonstar 207, as well as best digital microscope productnot to mention digital microscope for phone, wireless digital microscope for android, andonstar ad106s, led screen microscope, dino usb, stpctou wireless digital microscope, which is also great. Finally, have a look at this useful digital microscope model for good measure. Check more Useful Workbench Blog cccf503
FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

Cool Digital Microsope Details

Post by FrankJScott »

For the lady talking about portable digital hd microscope, best digital microscope, eflex microscope, jewelry microscope usb, best digital microscope for coins, maginon vision usb microscope, I highly suggest this updated digital microscope product or tagarno digital microscope, carson eflex microscope, hd microscope camera, microscope usb 1600x, dsx1000 microscope, national digital microscope, as well as this great digital microscope model and don't forget olympus sz 40, 1080p microscope camera, dino lite 5mp, mustcam 1080p full hd digital microscope, annlov microscope, lcd digital microscope amazon, and don't forget this awesome digital microscope product which is also great. Also have a look at this useful digital microscope product on top of andonstar adsm201 microscope, aplikasi digital microscope pc, veho dx discovery, digital video microscope, celestron microdirect 1080p, zoomy handheld digital microscope, alongside all this excellent digital microscope item and don't forget microscope hd andonstar adsm201, amscope mu1803, digital microscope stand, dino usb microscope, usb coin microscope amazon, mobile digital microscope, as well as new digital microscope item which is also worth a look. I also suggest this top digital microscope deal on top of amcap microscope, microscope 4.3 inch 600x digital, adsm302 hdmi microscope, usb microscope near me, umtele microscope, microscop cu camera digitala, alongside all this excellent digital microscope info and don't forget 1600x magnification, digi microscope um08, celestron tetraview microscope, vhx 5000 keyence, digital microscope with display, inskam315, and don't forget high rated digital microscope itemon top of usb microscope 2000x, 400x digital microscope, ad407, portable digital hd microscope, andonstar adsm302 hdmi microscope, hirox 3d digital microscope, which is also great. Finally, have a look at this top digital microscope item for good measure. Check more Awesome Crocs Shoes Blog d0_574b
FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

New Digital Microsope TipsSite

Post by FrankJScott »

In response to the people talking about hayear microscope, best usb microscope for electronics, andonstar ad206, proscope hr5, android microscope camera, usb microcapture, I highly suggest this great digital microscope make or cara instal digital microscope, digital microscope dm9, andonstar v160 usb digital microscope, dino lite usb microscope, zoto microscope, ad207 andonstar, alongside all this top rated digital microscope product on top of 16mp microscope camera, digital skin camera microscope, usb digital microscope for circuit board repair, takmly wifi digital microscope, andonstar 207, plugable technologies 250x, as well as this top digital microscope item which is also great. Also have a look at this new digital microscope model as well as aven cyclops digital microscope, zpix, depstech microscope, dino lite microscope amazon, tasco digital microscope, digimicroscope, and don't forget this updated digital microscope model alongside all plugable digital viewer microscope, handheld microscope for plants, zoomy microscope, am3111t, digital microscope skroutz, binocular digital microscope, as well as excellent digital microscope model which is also worth a look. I also suggest this high rated digital microscope product on top of digital microscope 3000x, digital microscope with monitor, plugable usb digital microscope, celestron infiniview lcd digital microscope, digital metallurgical microscope, dino lite digital microscope price, not to mention this top digital microscope deal as well as eflex digital microscope, carson zpix digital microscope, wireless microscope, digital microscope for ipad, g600 digital, vhx microscope price, alongside all new digital microscope makeand don't forget coinmicroscope, sunnywoo microscope, plugable usb 2.0 microscope, dino microscope camera, keyence vh, digital microscope 1000x, which is also great. Finally, have a look at this recommended digital microscope item for good measure. Check more Excellent Workbench Blog 06661aa