Need help sexing Plz

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
FishLegit

Need help sexing Plz

Post by FishLegit »

I have owned these guys for about 3 years now. Fish 2 is roughly 3 inches in length. I believe them to be a male and female but am still unsure. Fish 1 has two black odontodes that are longer than the rest but other than that Fish 1 is not as hairy as a male should normally be. any information will help thank you.
pair10.JPG
male1.JPG
female1.JPG
pair5.JPG
TwoTankAmin

Re: Need help sexing Plz

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I think, but am not 100%, that fish 1 is Fm and fish 2 is male.

As a rule. the fm sex organ is blob like- rounded and wider while the male's will be longer and more pointed. However, I cannot see the details for fish 2 as clearly as fish1 relative to their underside. But fish 2 also has abit more odontile growth, but not so much as to make it the deciding factor. Plus there are some hairy females out there, making this a less reliable method for sexing.

However, for fish of this age behavior is usually a100% reliable, Males cave and females do not. A Fm may hide or overnight in a cave, but she will not claim it and use it regularly. She will be under wood, hiding in a crevice while a male will often be seen in the same cave. This is especially true when its just two fish. Subordinate males in a colony may not claim a cave since those higher up in the pecking order get to pick the good spots.

Hope this helps.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
FishLegit

Re: Need help sexing Plz

Post by FishLegit »

Thank you for this information, I will be paying close attention to their behaviour.
FrankJScott
Mentally Certified!

Best Heating TipsSite

Post by FrankJScott »

For the guy asking about northeast plumbing, affordable heating and air conditioning, ducted heating service, johns heating and cooling, 5 star heating and air, gas furnace maintenance near me, I highly suggest this useful heating cleaning service tips or furnace inspection near me, valley heating, furnace companies near me, heating ac, heating cooling, boiler servicing near me, and don't forget this updated boiler repair service site on top of boiler installation near me, heating contractors, metro heating and air, eco heating and cooling, casteel heating and air, day and night heating and cooling, alongside all this new boiler installation service site which is also great. Also have a look at this high rated boiler cleaning service forum and don't forget tjs plumbing, comfort plumbing, heating and cooling systems, boiler maintenance, mechanical heating and cooling, mobile home heating and cooling, and don't forget this great plumbing installation service forum alongside all heating contractor, ducted heating service near me, heating and plumbing services, heater repair service, all star heating and cooling, heating and air, not to mention great heating installation service forum which is also worth a look. I also recommend this awesome AC repair service advice as well as furnace technician near me, right way heating and cooling, stans heating, propane heater repair, all star heating and air, barlow heating and air, alongside all this excellent plumbing repair service site and don't forget heating cooling near me, marshall's heating, allen heating and air, heating & cooling, alternative heating systems, emergency heating and cooling, as well as excellent heating cleaning service url which is also great. Finally, have a look at this awesome AC installation service forum for good measure. Check more Useful Heating Advice 8c7f68d