Females in free caves ?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
kasper
Groupie

Females in free caves ?

Post by kasper »

Hi

I've got 2 zebras I think is females, but they sometimes hide during the day in caves.

Question:

Do females hide in caves (no male inside)? or are these fish males ?

What's your experience with this ?

Thx
Kasper
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Females will hide in caves not occupied by males. That's one of the reasons why you shouldn't put more breeding caves than males in the tank. Forcing the females out in the open to seek shelter with the males ;)

Mind you, there should always be some kind of shelter for the females as well. So the answer to your question is, IMO, yes - they can hide in caves, but won't be as possesive about it as males.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I have noticed that "spare" caves that are not occupied by a male can be taken by females and or juveniles. They do not as McEve says tend to be as protective over the cave as a dominant male would be. Personally I would provide as many caves as you have males and provide cover as you see fit for the females.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

So say i had 2 male and 5 females, i would have 4 caves? for instence or is it totally up to me?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Shell,

I wouldn't provide extra caves for the females. Just two caves for the males and some other form of cover for the females such as slate/drift wood. You may even want to provide only one cave so that a dominat male can be established.