Egg tumblers, anyone use them

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Egg tumblers, anyone use them

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Hi all, now had 7 spawns for my breeding pair, 5th one was successful but the other 6, have either died of fungus or the male has eaten them.

Now my breeding pair are both in the cave at it again and this time I am going to remove the eggs the minute the female leaves and place them into an egg tumbler.

I just want to know, anyone else here use an egg tumbler and when should the eggs be removed, I take it the minute the female leaves the male fertilises the eggs and they can be removed then, or does the male wait a few hours before fertilising them.

Can anyone advise please. I would love to leave them with the male but this pair have just had too many chances, my other breeding pairs have no troubles at all, and I get reugular spawns from them without any hiccups.

Any advice is appreciated.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
civicr
Obsessed!!

i

Post by civicr »

never used 1 myself but i have heard of them developing with a airstone in the fry traap.

also ps can i have some of your water please lol
2x wild zebs
4x mature zebs
6x juvi zebs
3x zeb fry 2days old 11/09/08
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

hows your babies doing, mine fry from batch fry are now 2 months old and looking quite big. Out of 9 fry, 5 still alive and going. 4 dead, unsure why, but they got some sort of deformatity, one had no nose and the other 3 had holes in there bodies, unsure if someone had had a go at them. But the other 5 are in a fry trap and doing fine.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

I think Andrew Coxon on here uses them... I'll be following you with our beta pair when they spawn again as they havent had fry yet - just failed spawns :(
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
will74
Groupie

egg tumbler

Post by will74 »

Make sure you put a small piece of foam on the bottom with rubber band and this will help keep the fungus off of the eggs by keeping uneaten food and detritus out. I raise what few I've spawned in tumblers but it's best if you let them develop into fry first or the fungus will almost certainly kill them.
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

I have used a egg tumbler 5 i placed in there and 3 survived do not know if this helps.
Coen

Re: Egg tumblers, anyone use them

Post by Coen »

Just use the Eggster egg tumbler for hypancistrus, ancistrus and africans cichlids, it is the most efficient on the market.