Tank decoration!

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Tank decoration!

Post by Shell231 »

Any advise as to what i should put in a Zebra tank? i.e slate , rocks , wood etc... love to hear what works best!
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

All of the above :lol:

The more nooks and crannies the better in my opinion. Keep in mind that your gonna have to move them on a regular basis during basic tank maintanence.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Why is this then?
Adam

Post by Adam »

As Dr P says all of the above is ok, there is no hard and fast rule. However choose carefully when it comes to substrates, try to stick with fine grade substrate so that uneaten food doesn't get trapped in it. Zebras appreciate some hiding places so provide some hiding spots in the form of bog wood and or slate. If you are aiming to breed them you will need breeding caves.

Tank decor may have to be moved around during tank maintenance as Dr P says so that waste and uneaten food can be removed.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I am using silica sand? is this any good or a really fine gravel i have both i am undecided!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi again shell231,

I must say for your first day you are certainly turning out to be a prolific poster, I'm having problems keeping up with you :lol: .

Sand is fine, pun not intended, just make sure that it is no deeper than 1 or 2cm. A deep layer of sand can allow for the build up of noxious gases that can kill fish. I would go with the sand, personally I think it looks better.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Well when i want something i very rarely take it nice and slow! i want as much info as i can get! plus i never run out of questions as most women dont !!! hehe! :wink:
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Them snails you get to turn over then sand are they nessary or just a nice added thing for the tank? or should i just do what you do and turn the sand over with a spoon once every 2 weeks! which is easier
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Not putting in too much is easiest, IMO. A fine skiff of sand is fine, or even bare bottom makes it easier to clean. For making zebras happy, lots of decor to hide in works great. For making zebras spawn, I was told less decor to help the females be encouraged to try to get into his cave is better. Everyone has their own methods though, obviously!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

i am going to put 3/4 caves in " homemade slate " ones and a few peices of slate/rock arrangement then 2 bits of mopani wood < think that is what it is called? with a fine layer of sand 2 filters a powerhead and a bubble curtain!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sounds good to me shell. However you might want to consider getting a couple of sponge filters instead of the bubble curtain, aeration and filteration all in one.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

hehe i like the curtain looks nice! lol i may just add a sponge filter for good measure as well