Amazon dam project gets green light...

Whats happening in the wild, current issues and debates....oooh this one'll get hot!

Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Amazon dam project gets green light...

Post by Plastic Mac »

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Interesting news PM. Is it affecting Rio xinguas well? it is a very delicate situation as it's easy to understand why they need to take care of their people and increase their standard of living, at the same time as it will affect the enviroment adversely :( Still, it's easy for us to condemn it as we don't have to face the social and developmental problems they do... I know, political incorrect point of view here :oops:

I hope they find alternatives that will take care of both people and the fish.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Is it affecting Rio xinguas well?
I think it's just the amazon, at the moment.

I think you're right with your comments though. It's difficult to pass judgement on something happening in another country when all it does is affect your hobby, something many people in the world would class as a luxury and yet it directly affects these peoples standard of living. I think we'll just have to hope for the best.
Last edited by Plastic Mac on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickylbc
Groupie

Post by rickylbc »

How come the link doesn't work for me?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

it's down for me too at the moment. The New Scientist site has been up and down all evening. It took me ten minutes of trying when I saw the link to finally read the page on the NS site myself... :D . Hopefully it'll be sorted soon.
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Rio Madeira a long way from the Xingu.

Sad it is, but the benefits to mankind, or people who live there will be very short lived, it will silt up so quickly.

So a light bulb for a native in the short term will mean taking away a greater proportion of the planets lung.

People on here plead hardship when selling fish, visit a third world country, and you'll understand what hardship is.

Kev who posted pics of the Zebs collected has, me just East Africa and India.

Take care

Dave
blueblue
Obsessed!!

Post by blueblue »

is there any update of this project?
John

Post by John »

Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
wood

Post by wood »

I have a little bit of engineering knowledge. The article says preliminary approval. if this damn were ever to be 100% approved, which I doubt, it will be years from now.

Once they start construction then it will immediately affect the environment surrounding the project. They will re-route water at the very beginning and pollution from construction will be immediate and long lasting. It will undoubtedly damage the inhabitants of the river in a serious way. With climate change maybe it is sometimes better to sacrifice a small area than the effect on the bigger picture (hydro-dam vs coal plant)
OliverKahn
Forum Follower

Post by OliverKahn »

Hi John, thanks a lot for your sharing. Since I cannot read German, may you please do me a favour and list a few key points from the article here? Thank you.
John

Post by John »

OliverKahn wrote:
Hi John, thanks a lot for your sharing. Since I cannot read German, may you please do me a favour and list a few key points from the article here? Thank you.
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http% ... l=de&tl=en
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
OliverKahn
Forum Follower

Post by OliverKahn »

Thanks John. :D
John wrote:
OliverKahn wrote:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http% ... l=de&tl=en
Rahim17

Re: Amazon dam project gets green light...

Post by Rahim17 »

$16 billion for 11 GW is a favorable, low price, about $1.50/watt. The design objective for the liquid fluoride thorium reactor is $2/watt, which makes it hard for LFTR to compete with hydro. However, the hydro project uses 200 square miles, and a nuclear power facility could fit on one square mile.
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

No matter what, no matter how ethically wrong, no matter how much in violation of laws this dam might be, Brazil will start it. There is 0 chance of any other outcome.

The only question is when will it eradicate the fish in the Xingu. We already know how many people they are moving off land they have lived on since before the first European explorer set foot there.

This is the way we humans are and in the end we will reap what we have sown.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.