Do I have a lady in there ?

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Kontong

Do I have a lady in there ?

Post by Kontong »

image.jpg
First time going into zebra. Do I have a female among them ? Thanks :o
TwoTankAmin

Re: Do I have a lady in there ?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Difficult to tell from your photo. I need bigger and better resolution. When I click to enlarge the picture is distorted.

I usually want to see a picture from below moreso than anything else. Good pics from above will clearly show any odontile growth on the pectorals as well as the side of the head in more mature fish. But sometimes these are inadequate. Done right, pics from below let one see the fish's tube out.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Kontong

Post by Kontong »

I think its difficult to get a pic of them now ..btw i read thru all the post but veri little about the behaviour between the male and female..other then the dominant male will claimed the cave first. I had 8 sub adults and 14 caves but only 1 is occupied..anything i should do caused other then the physique can i differentiate them thru their behaviours? Thank you. :)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

As males get old enough, they will want to have their own territory. The dominant males should claim caves in which they can always be found. Subordinate males will get the less desirable spots or may just use whatever is handy.

Females do not claim caves (unless maybe the only fish in the tank?). They may shelter overnight in an unclaimed cave but they will tend to spend their time hiding elsewhere. This is why we need to have excess caves, wood and some rock work in a tank.

The females also will also form their own pecking order just like the males. Only the top females get to spawn with the top males.

The only guaranteed way to sex them is by venting them. One help is many males will have a black patch below where their's comes out.
Kontong

Post by Kontong »

Thanks TTA :)
I had been monitoring their behavior . So far only one claim his cave. The others either hide under the wood or rocks but not in the cave .. :(could it be they are still unstable ? ( I had them for about 1months)
Their size are from 2 to 3 inches..most will come out to feed even with the lights on.
Water perimeter : ammonia 0
Ph : 6.3
Temp : 30 degree Celsius
Water change : 10 - 20% daily or once every 2 days
:o
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

That argues strongly for your having both sexes. This is not the same as sexing them because immature males may not have claimed a cave yet. They may still be 'afraid" of the alpha and need more time. But having that many of them not claiming a cave yet is a good sign over all.

Do you know the TDS of your water? Right now it looks like you have natural rainy season type water. Reading I have seen reported show that in the wild zebras will go through a pH swing from about your level to almost neutral and the TDS will move between about 14 ppm and 85 ppm. If you find yourself trying to trigger them by doing a dry and then a rainy season, you will likely have to artificially raise your pH and TDS to do the dry season part and then use your tap to bring on the rainy season. This assumes your current parameters are not the result of your having altered them from those of your tap water.

I should mention that there is no guarantee this seasonal manipulation will work. I have had and heard reports of people doing nothing for ages and having them spawn or doing the seasonal simulation a few times over a few years and not having any spawns at all.