small split in fin ??? what causing it

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

craigzeb
Obsessed!!

small split in fin ??? what causing it

Post by craigzeb »

i have been cycling a tank for nearly a year ready for moving all my baby zebs into i recently put 2 in to see how they liked it settled nice hiding away i put lights on tonight and noticed small splits in their fins ??? all my readings are at 0 so what could it be is it just growth or what anyone had this or noticed it. if something could be causing it i want to get them out as dont want them getting any disease and infecting the tank i know ammonia can cause this but readings are 0 ????????????????
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Re: small split in fin ??? what causing it

Post by craigzeb »

can anyone help quick ??? before its to late can the filter poss be not cycled proper and there is something wrong ???? can water hardness or anything be effecting the water and splitting the fin its gettin worse on 1 of the zebs ??????? or could it just be the 2 little things are fighting ??????????????????????
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Hi Craig I would of thought nothing worry about & possibly just from fighting, someone may have another answer?
I take it all is ok still. :)
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

i took the 2 babies out and put them back in my other tank added a load of food and prawns to see if i got any readings and i got ammonia so my filter not cycled proper yet ???? dont know why i have had it running for a year now and it still not done madness it must of lost its bacteria and started again so im cycling yet again :loldude: need to get them out soon as i have about 50 young ones all diff sizes in with 9 adults and some are getting quite big now so i need my tank to hurry up asap.
also tonight there is another trapping so prob be more on the way :loldude: :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Without an ammonia source a filter will not be nor remain cycled.

If ammonia is being processed the end result is nitrate.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

:loldude: :loldude: cheers i know that ammonia nitrites to nitrates i had added prawns to get it started then some fish food it began to cycle then everything disappeared so i added some more plec food tablets to test again and was getting no readings so i thought it was finaly done so added a couple fish they were only in couple days i noticed fins splitting so i got them out quick and added a load of prawns again which gave me more ammonia readings again its been cycling a year its a fluval 406 surely it should be done ????? why is it taking ages