I think im done

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

wu19
Groupie

I think im done

Post by wu19 »

My jbl sansibar substrate came in a couple of days ago along with my hurricane cat 5 battery operated pump and decided to add a marineland maxi-jet 600 powerhead to complement my 2 koralia 1050. I know I'm still a rookie but i feel very proud about this tank. Special thanks to Rod47 and TTA for your knowledge. I'm searching for a background but as far as the inside I think I'm done.?
The attachment photo(44).JPG is no longer available
:-?
photo(44).JPG
She/He is the only one that is getting beat up that the lines are fading by the tail.
She/He is the only one that is getting beat up that the lines are fading by the tail.
photo(41).JPG
photo(47).JPG
BRIAN09
Groupie

Re: I think im done

Post by BRIAN09 »

Hi i believe your caves are facing the wrong way! they should be facing with the entrance front on! as they like the current to be passing the front entrance to the cave not entering directly in it if that makes sense. Having said that my zebra plecs have not bred yet but that could be down to the fact that even tho i bought two young groups from two diff people totaling 8 plecs looks like all 8 are going to be male :(
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

Thank you for pointing that out to me.... Just finished turning them, facing me.
Sorry to hear that if that's the case? Have you posted pictures of them? Do know for sure?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

The floor of the Xingu is primarily made up of rounded rocks, crevices and a sandy substrate, allowing Hypancistrus zebra to travel throughout it's territory under cover from predators.
From the Species Info/Habitat link of this site. I have always tried to provide the maximum cover possible. Not only does it provide security from predators, but is also gives picked on zebras a place to hide and avoid conflict. Sorry for thea bad photo, but this tank produced about 500 fry over 3.5 years from 11-13 breeders:
30 gal breeder tank 48x18x13 inches.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

Wow :shock: .. Nice.. I see now I need a lot more cover... Far from done. Thank you TTA. Hope I can get a fraction of that number.
har_eh

Post by har_eh »

Providing enough cover is indeed essential as TTA pointed out. My tank is setup with an open space on the left side and rocks on the right side.
The open space is occupied by a few Altums and when I feed them(during the day) the zebras even come out of their hiding places to feed. It's absolutely stunning to see this happening. I guess the point I'm trying to make is; if your zebras feel comfortable they'll also show themselves in open space.

The whole cave and current theory is something I have not experienced. I have caves occupied in zones with a lot of current but also caves in places without current are occupied. I've had fry in both, so I'm not to sure every male "likes" the current.

Looking forward to see some more pics when you're done scaping! :)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have always believed that current is something plecos have evolved to handle but that it is not something they necessarily need. What they do need is good oxygenation and some current that moves the water across the mouth of but not directly into the caves. One of the more successful hypan breeders I know pretty much uses sponge filtration in all his tanks.

My feeling is that while plecos can handle big current, they are also less taxed when they don't have to do so 24/7. I see the difference being like a hard day a work vs an easy one.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

Thank you guys for your replies. I guess too much current? I might be traumatized. I'm definitely paranoid with these guys after the hurricane and these damn power outages. Might have gotten carried away with the water movement. I moved my caves and right now i am working on getting some rocks, more caves and wood. Safe to say this is my rough draft. Yes, har_eh i agree the sight of them eating is stunning... :shock: I sit and just stare in amazement. Its funny that you mentioned that because my original 2 males, stay in their caves. My new little guys are so much bolder. When the food is half way down the tank they start to scramble a little. I can see their excitement. With my males they wag their tales come out their caves and look at me like guy can u leave so we can eat. So much more active? This is how my tank looks now until i add more.
photo(51).JPG
photo(50).JPG
It was like she/he was standing up. It lifted itself up and i swore it was guna take off like a jet. lol
It was like she/he was standing up. It lifted itself up and i swore it was guna take off like a jet. lol
His name is Pesto, eating in front of my Alpha male cave. Not a care in the world. He will stick his nose anywhere during feeding time
His name is Pesto, eating in front of my Alpha male cave. Not a care in the world. He will stick his nose anywhere during feeding time
Balken89
Groupie

Post by Balken89 »

Hi i only have 1 filter that push around 1500l/h and when try to make Rainseason i turn on 2 extra powerheads that push around 4000L/h togheter. so total 5500L/h and i got my zebs for 10 weeks before they started to breed and now this time it is eggs in 2 of the caves.
my tank is 150x50x50 375L not alot of current in my tank, only alittle extra to push them into the caves^^
This is my tank setup.
This is my tank setup.