pleco question

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Bugsy
Forum Follower

pleco question

Post by Bugsy »

Hi, soon I will be getting my new zebra pleco. I don't have access to those pleco caves that everyone uses so what should I be looking for so my new baby has a nice home he/she can grow into?

Should it be closed at one end?
What size and shape should it be?

Cheers..... :D
planted90
Groupie

Re: pleco question

Post by planted90 »

Hi
Congratz on getting some zebras

With my short time with zebras, the thing i noticed with the babies was that they pretty much just hide under all the furnishing in the tank(rocks, caves, filter) anything where they would be out of sight.

My zebs for the first year rarely used the caves i had, they just hid in and around the black slate that i had piled up in the tank around the caves. When they did use the caves my zebs would only use the D shaped caves with closed ends, but i think anything where they feel safe and fairly tight works. There are alot of articles online and here describing how the caves should be sized to the fish. I tried at least 12 different types of caves but mine never really used them until they got to breeding age.

Don't forget that it is only males that really stay in the caves while the females generally just hide under the furnishing or on top of the cave in the tank.

Good luck with your zebra
Bob
Bugsy
Forum Follower

Post by Bugsy »

Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated. I will only be getting on zebra due to the cost, but have 2 other types of plecos in the tank as well. At this time I only have wood in there but can put some slate in there no problems. My one L134 loves his piece of wood he just loves and thats his home. My LF Albino BN loves the long piece of wood and is always on that even when I had a cave for her. So maybe what I will do is put that cave back in there when the new one comes, its open on the end its an elbow shape. I just don't want the BN to bother the new little one and thought they have to have a closed end cave. I don't plan on breeding just want to keep a few fancy plecos and the zebra has been on my list for a while.
Bugsy
Forum Follower

Post by Bugsy »

Just an update on my zebra pleco. I did not have very good success from the first breeder with my pleco arriving live. Both times one was sent they came to me dead. My money was refunded and I luckily found a very wonderful breeder that has provided me with not one but 2 lovely young zebras. I hope oneday they will be a pair but are to young right now to know for sure. She did her best to provide me with two different looking zebras in hopes they will be a pair.

I am enjoying them so much even though I don't see them often but at least once a day usually in the evening they are out and about cruising the tank. When lights are out I feed them but have been giving them a tiny bit during the day in hopes they might come out a bit more to view them.

I figured if I am paying the same price for one being shipped to me might as well have two and hopefully a pair.