1st spawn

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

1st spawn

Post by craigzeb »

hi after 2 wks of wondering if any of my eggs survived seeing 3 hatched dead zebs being booted out of the cave i can now see at least 2 little babies inside with the dad :lol: :lol: im buzzing hopefully some more will be in their 2.
i also think the female keeps coming back looking to get in again so hopefully they will get at it again soon happy man at the min only had 5 of them just over a year and added another 3 from another bloodline.
ive not really kept it mega clean either sometimes forgetting to clean water and leaving them for 2 wks and the filter in the tank is a basic internal 1200lh pump in a 190l juwel trigon tank so all this about big filters and super clean water i really think it dont matter at all its all on the fish and if they want to spawn ??
i have been cycling a fuval 406 1400lh in a juwel vision 180l tank to move my zebs into so they had better filter and cleaner water still waiting on it now :loldude: so not sure now if to move them at all as could upset the zebs ??
dad seems happy in his cave with little ones and has not come out since so for his 1st time he has done very well.
hopefully the 1st of many too :P :P :P
TwoTankAmin

Re: 1st spawn

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Congrats. The first spawn is the hardest one to get. They should keep at it a while. Dad will boot the kids if they don't leave on their own.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

thanks mate so cute they are hope your rite plenty more to come :P
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

im just going to leave them in the tank to with the dad till he does kick them out do you think theyll be ok or should i get them out into a breeder ?? i have 8 larger zebs in total
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

4 babies spotted tonight I switched lights on to check and they were all together hiding near my airstone too cute they little beauties happy chappy I am. Poss more hiding around I know I lost 3 and 4 survived so who knows keep you all posted.
John

Post by John »

Congrats :)
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Many zebra breeders report that they get better growth when they keep the fry with the adults to grow. I am one of them. The key is to provide the fry with hiding places which match their tiny size. they will seek out spots where larger fish can not fit.

You will also find that they follow a pattern as they grow. Initially you should find them all huddled together in one or two places. As they grow they will form smaller and smaller groups and then some will begin to go solo. Eventually the males claim their territories and the females will work out their own pecking order too.

And you are right, there is not much in the fishy world that is cuter than a baby zebra.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

thanks peops.... and yes there all together in the corner under my airstone and i have now counted 5 babies in all
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Well done!
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

Keeps going up found 7 upto now not bad for a 1st time dad 3 lost so would have been 10 going to do water change wknd carefully and have a look for more :D
jsalas623
Groupie

Post by jsalas623 »

Wow nice!! 7 isn't bad at all for first clutch!!
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: todays count 9 cant believe it 9 from my first time and the dads 1st time and their all happy out and about in my tank not even bothered by the bigger 1s and the bigger 1s leaving them alone too very happy man i am :loldude:
jsalas623
Groupie

Post by jsalas623 »

9!!!!! Nice!! Congrats on the grand kids!! :)
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

cheers m8 :lol: been a good couple wks my misses gave birth to my son too so little ones all round :P
jsalas623
Groupie

Post by jsalas623 »

Congrats!!!