Camallanus - Attn mistern2005

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Elizabeth

Camallanus - Attn mistern2005

Post by Elizabeth »

So I have the dreaded Camallanus worms. I read a really comprehensive article by one of your members here, mistern2005, and was wondering whether he/she would be willing to let me know whether this was a longterm solution or not. I've read that recurrence is a big problem.

I treated 24h with 8mg/L levamisol HCl, and not all of the worms died, but the one visibly infected fish has lost many worms and looks significantly better. I am thinking that a longer and higher dose treatment is necessary, but am giving them a few days to "rest" as the treatment seemed a little hard on them. Any feedback or suggestions on this?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I have seen total euthanasia recommended, and am really hoping it doesn't come to that. I have a 100g planted show tank with some really nice fish, and the thought is sickening!
TwoTankAmin

Re: Camallanus - Attn mistern2005

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I suggest you go here and read. http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Re: Camallanus - Attn mistern2005

Post by mistern2005 »

Elizabeth -

I know this can be frustrating. But with a hard challenge, such as treating camallauns, will give great rewards once accomplished. It can be done. Please keep in mind, I am not a vet, nor claim to be an expert. Keeping that in mind, the link from TTA is the standard "What to do about camallanus" article on the web and a great starting point. Also keep in mind, I have never directly observed any of my plecos with the parasite, just other fish in the tank with plecos.

1) I actually started updating that article based on more recent experiences...I was lucky enough to have a recurrence.
2) The dosing I quoted in the article is likely too high. I think the best doing recommendation is 10-15 mg/L. This might seem obvious, but make sure that you are dosing the active ingredient at this rate.
3) It will require repeat treatments - I'd do at least three, each three weeks apart. From what I read about the lifecycle of the worm, this will maximize the chances of catching the parasite and offspring in the life-cycle phase where treatment is effective.
4) If you can still visibly see worms coming from your fish, I'd consider continuing the treatment cycle.
5) Jungle Labs makes an anti-parasite food with Metronidozle, Praziquantel, and Levamisole. I've had great success with this food. I'd skip feedings for a day or two, make sure the fish are quite hungry, and then feed them this food exclusively as stated on the directions.
6) It might not be the end of it. It took me MONTHS to get my tank past this parasite....
7) Once you get on even footing, and it seems like all the fish are doing well, still repeat the feeding of the Jungle Labs food once every other month. I talked to a biologist who said this is good practice and shouldn't be detrimental long term to the fish.
8) Be patient and be prepared for this to take a long time (like MONTHS) to get over.

I was fortunate enough to get through this about the time I wrote the article. About 8 months later I was "lucky" enough to purchase another fish that brought camallanus - but this time it was confined to a quarantine tank! I've been through it twice, pulled out a lot of hair, but thankfully didn't lose that many fish over it.

I hope this helps...
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...