some questions

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

saar_1997

some questions

Post by saar_1997 »

Hi everyone,
i'm new here.
My name is Saar and I am from Israel so my English not so good so I'm sorry in advance for any spelling or grammar errors.
I recently became interested in breeding L046, and I have some questions:
1. Do I have to create flows in the breeding tank? If so where?
2. would it be possible to have 1 or 2 filters in order to make flows in the tank? (the tank is about 72 liters)
3. Do I have to create a tranition seasons in order to breed? If so, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks, Saar.
TwoTankAmin

Re: some questions

Post by TwoTankAmin »

You do need flow, but high current is not a necessity. It wont hurt either. You definitely want flow across the mouth of the the caves.

You will most likely have to do the dry/rainy season. The best way depends on your tap water parameters and whether or not you have a reverse osmosis unit.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
saar_1997

Post by saar_1997 »

Ok, thanks for the answers.
Another question I have:
If I grow in the tank one pair of L46 - male and female.
Let the parents raise their young, and when the young independent then move them tenk?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Most of the zebra breeders I know have reported that the fry will actually grow faster when left in the breeder tank with the adults. I am in that camp. Assuming one gets lucky and the fish are prolific, you will eventually have to spread out the fry both for stocking as well as preservation issues (You can't wipe out all your fish in a single tank mishap if all the fish are not in a single tank.).
saar_1997

Post by saar_1997 »

TwoTankAmin wrote:Most of the zebra breeders I know have reported that the fry will actually grow faster when left in the breeder tank with the adults. I am in that camp. Assuming one gets lucky and the fish are prolific, you will eventually have to spread out the fry both for stocking as well as preservation issues (You can't wipe out all your fish in a single tank mishap if all the fish are not in a single tank.).
Ok, I know I will eventually have to spread out the fry.
I will let the fry grow with the adults until they will be independent.
I want to know if L46 in Size of about 5-7 cm can breed (assuming you can differentiate between male and female)?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Unfortunately, when it comes to zebras, can breed and will breed are not the same thing. It is rare to see them breed in tanks at less than 2 years and most folks think 3 or more may be needed. I hate to use size as the sole criteria, age is also important.

Certainly a 7 cm fish should sexable, at 5 its a bit more iffy, imo.
saar_1997

Post by saar_1997 »

ok, thank you very much!
I think I can find adoults zebrazs but it will take me some time...
In any case, I'll update about my breeding project here when the time comes.