Male or Female?

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
wu19
Groupie

Male or Female?

Post by wu19 »

photo(6).JPG
photo(5).JPG
photo(4).JPG
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Re: Male or Female?

Post by Stevie.K »

Hi there the fish are far too young to sex & as you probably know the 3rd fish has very deformed fins but I imagine you love them all, enjoy them :D
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

:0 I don't so??? I snapped the picture at lunch time which I 40 minutes to do. Put them in a bowl and they were scattering around. Do mean bc of his/her left side?? Is at the edge of the bowl and is tucked in?? Because it does open up wider on a flat surface. I'm panicking or do you see something else I'm not seeing?? I'm a newbie, just got them a month ago. Don't get me wrong. But if you are talking about his/her left side it's on the edge of the bowl and does open up wider. If not pls explain :(
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

Omg I see it :(. Poor little guy... How does that happen? Thank you. I didn't notice it until I looked again :(. He will be my little special one :)
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

How long do I have to wait before I can tell if they are male or female?
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Hi your zebs are very young & it will take up to 3 years before you can have a good idea on sexes, & sometimes longer!
Your zeb with the deformed fins may have looked worse against the side of the bowl, your fish should lead a normal & healthy life, but any fish with any deformities shouldn't be used to breed from in the future to avoid it being passed on to new generations.
There are different kinds of deformities that happen, have a look in the health section.
I have bred a few snub nose fry in the past from different wild fish at different times & there is mixed answers for how this happens.
Don't worry & enjoy your zebs :D
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

Thank you sir....