gh levels

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

gh levels

Post by craigzeb »

tested my water this morning my level all ok ph was 6.5 to 7 my gh was 3 as it started to change colour after 3 drops is this too low or ok for my zebs ??
TwoTankAmin

Re: gh levels

Post by TwoTankAmin »

For living in, the GH doesn't have to be at a given level. However, when it comes to spawning there are other issues one must consider.

Bear in mind that in the wild there is a significant difference in peak levels both high and low for GH (more appropriately conductivity or TDS) and that the change from highs to lows happens fairly fast. So the fish are pretty adaptable.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

so would you say gh of 3 is to low to be spawning ?? as it says ideal is 5 for them to spawn ??
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It isn't the absolute levels that are critical so much as the difference between them. It is the seasonal drop in TDS/Conductivity/GH complex that triggers them. They spawn in response to the change over from dry to rainy seasons.

A few other things are also happening as a result of the change such as a pH difference, a temperature difference, a food availability difference. And all of these are heralded by a change in the barometric pressure that alerts the fish that the change is about to occur.
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

Please help with tds. How to lower it? I add ro water, do ro water changes. It rises to 500 to 600. Zebs are eating and looking fine but how can I lower this tds :?:
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Start by checking the TDS coming out of your ro unit. You may need to replace the membrane or other components.
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

Thank you sir. I kept changing the water 25% then 50% change for a week and finally I'm at a steady 200 tds. :D