From Tennessee

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Tiberius

From Tennessee

Post by Tiberius »

Hello, everyone. I have been reading everything on here over past month or so as I fell in love with zebras about as soon as I got into the hobby a couple years ago, but recently had a friend of mine who owns the local fish store offer me a great deal on as many zebras as I wanted. So I have been looking at what i need to do to get my tank setup for them and already have a bunch of questions. Most of them probably don't have a single right answer from what i have read so far, but just kind of nervous and want to get it right as this will be a big investment for me and by far my single largest adventure into the hobby.

My current setup that I will be using for the zebras is a 55 gallon tank with about 4" bed of Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate. It running 2 220w heaters, though planning on replacing one of them with a 300w or even 400w heater (any suggestions of if one would be better than the other would be great) to handle the higher temperatures I need for the zebras as I know I need to get the tank to about 83 degrees F over the 76-78 degrees that been running most my tanks at. For filtration I'm just running a standard Aquatech 60 gallon hang on back filter, which I have read some places is plenty but other places have suggest some really expensive high end filtration systems, so not sure if I need to upgrade this or not. I was also planning on getting just a regular power head at about 650 gallon per hour in order to add some flow to the aquarium, but then I read where that people have created setups to create more of a one directional flow to better simulate a river which is zebras natural habitat so I was wondering if anyone had any experience could tell me how important that is to create or what is best way to create the flow in the tank.