Adding smaller plecos to a group?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Mr. Johnson
Groupie

Adding smaller plecos to a group?

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice. I currently have 5 zebra plecos. They are all ranging from 2.5"-3" in size.

I plan on getting another 5 zebras within a week or two. I went to go look at the seller's group today. Most appear to be 2"-2.25".

What should I do, if anything, when I add the 5 smaller ones to my bigger colony?

My current tank setup is a 75g. I will have 10 caves by the time I add the additional 5 zebras.

Should I rearrange the rocks and caves?

When should I add the new group in? During a water change? Lights on or off?

Let me know what has worked for y'all in the pass and what I should expect when I add the new additions. :)

Thanks,

MJ
TwoTankAmin

Re: Adding smaller plecos to a group?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

You have plenty of room in the tank for more. The new ones will have to work things out with the similar sized ones currently in the tank. The large ones already should have seniority. Just be sure there are adequate places for the ones needing to run and hide to avoid the rest when they must.

Colonies will have a pecking order that can take some time to get established. Once it is, adding new fish will usually upset the order and it then has to get reestablished. How long this may take depends on what part or parts of that order are threatened by the new arrivals.

If you think your existing group may be close to spawning, you may want to put the new arrivals into their own tank. Adding them could be a disruptive setback in terms of spawning.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Mr. Johnson
Groupie

Re: Adding smaller plecos to a group?

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Thank you for your insight.

I have read stories of males fighting and killing each other so I was concerned.

I only recently got the five that I have so I figured it was a good time roads new zebras to the colony.