water changes & Feeding

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

pleckingpob
Forum Follower

water changes & Feeding

Post by pleckingpob »

iv just purchased two zebra plecos about 1" in length i have kept many other plecos but iv read alot of information about zebra plecos and its all different i dont no what to believe.

i regually change my water 20% a day and always been fine with other plecos is it going to effect my zebra plecos at all ??
and as regards to feeding im currently feeding them on bloodworm and muscle meat but never seem to see them eating and alot of food waste builds up
thats y i do that many water changes. What else can i feed them iv heard they dislike algea wafers. can any1 help me with some good information
so i can carry on keeping these plecos

many thanks
TwoTankAmin

Re: water changes & Feeding

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Welcome to the site.

Zebras are primarily carnivores. although so veggie matter in their diet is a good idea. They also tend to have a small mouth.
Zebras the size you have are very likely to choke themselves to death trying to swallow whole blood worms. At least chop them into smaller pieces if you must feed them this food.

They will eat anything that gets soft- that could be earthworm flake or sticks, most sinking pellets/wafers.
They will also eat small foods like cyclop-eeze, bbs, daphnia (best when frozen as they sink, in Freeze dried form these foods tend to float). I also feed all my fish, all zebras included, once a week on spirulina flake w/ garlic.

In the wild the fish live in two different overall conditions depending upon the season. So they are adapted to living in both. It is usually necessary for getting them spawning intitially to have both, but for growout there is no reason not to have very clean water.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
pleckingpob
Forum Follower

Post by pleckingpob »

cheers for that going to get sum of those hakiri carnivore pellets i think and some of the stuff u have recommended

many thanks any more info tho let us no because i am new to zebras i have kept many other plecos thou are they just like keeping them ?
pleckingpob
Forum Follower

Post by pleckingpob »

how many zebra plecos do you keep then ? are those urs in the pictures ?
il try and take sum pics of mine and the tank setup and post them on to see if you think there is any problems with the way im keeping them
im also going to be adding 2more in a few weeks a tiny bit bigger is this a good idea ?
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

They like to hide in cracks and crevices and caves when they get older. 2 'spots' per fish is a good rule of thumb. Lots of current in the tank and keep the water clean and warm. Feed them well and they should be happy campers!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Yes, those are my fish.

I currently have about 60 zebras. Tank 1- 11 adult breeders and a few fry; Tank2- 15 of my own F1 at about breeding size in with two unrelated wild caught adults; Tank3- 32 assorted sized fry growing out (includes two snubbers)

Zebra care and breeding is pretty much the same as it is for all Hypancistrus, only the water temps may vary.
pleckingpob
Forum Follower

Post by pleckingpob »

bet your buzzin thats rate gud im tryna get a group of 8 together and put them in a 4ft tank would that be suitable for that amount ? im going to put two males in and the rest females gt 2 orderd anotha 6 shud be gttin them in a few wks i dnt no if there related or nt tho wud tht b a problem if i wanted t proceed trying to breed them in a few years
many thanks
pleckingpob
Forum Follower

Post by pleckingpob »

are you currently selling yours or do you keep them all as pets ?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Mine has been on a breeding hiatus since last November. My practice has been that when they stop spawning, I stop selling. So for now I am holding onto them all.

With a group of 8 I would personally want 3 males and 5 females.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

There are 33g longs and 45g longs that have the same footprint as a 55g, much better for a pleco tank!