what filters are best for zeb tank ??

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

what filters are best for zeb tank ??

Post by craigzeb »

i have a tank cycling with an internal filter but want to add another maybe 2 to keep it super clean which type and make would anyone choose ??
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Re: what filters are best for zeb tank ??

Post by vanillarum »

Well, for my zebra tank, which is a 40 gal breeder, I use 2 HOB filters. I use an AquaClear 70, mounted on 1 end of the tank, and an Emperor 280, hung on the back. I actually use this setup for all 4 of my pleco breeding tanks. Good luck.
The line of least resistance makes crooked rivers and crooked men !

William H. Danforth
flashmore

Post by flashmore »

i use 2 fluval u4 filters in my aquarium they are the latest model keeps the water crystal clear i would definatley recomend them they have different sizes in the u series
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

On my 90L tank Im using an Eheim Professional II Thermofilter 2126 & Eheim Aquaball Biopower 160.

Depending on your tank size (which you didn't mention) go for anything eheim, good quality and super reliable German stuff. As long as its rating exceeds your tanks volume you cant go wrong. try having 1 external and at least 1 internal, possibly 2. If i were you, for an external, go for the largest you could afford...

J
L046 x 16 + Fry
MattW

Post by MattW »

I agree with Jamie in regards to Eheim. they are both reliable with quality filtration.

I use 2 external Eheim ecco 2236 on my zeb 125 litre tank, aswel as the standard inbuilt internal juwel filter. this is a lot more filtration than is probably required but its not a bad thing to be over filtering.
8 X L46 - 1 Male. Unsure of rest as still a bit too young
YSR50
Forum Follower

Post by YSR50 »

On my 15 gallon I have an Eheim Pro II 2026 & Eheim Aquaball
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--Dr. Seuss
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

well its juwel rekord 80l tank currently cycling with its internal filter ??

so do i need filters that do upto 80liters or can i get bigger ?? will they cycle proper in the tank if they are bigger sized filters ?? i want maximum filter and water movement with oxygenation in the water of course so i can provide best conditions for hopefully breeding and plenty of spawns of these little beauties

curent pump on filter is a 280 liters per hour i do have a spare 600 liter per hour pump from my 180 liter fish tank which fits but i was told it would be to fast for the filter to cycle properly ????
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

I go for 20-30 times turnover in an hour. If you have an 80l tank, that would be 1600-2400 liters per hour. Oxygenated flow is also very important!
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

would a filter that big cycle properly in a smaller tank ?? would anyone say to put in a new filter to cycle while the built in 1 is cycling or add it once the tank is cycled ??
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

Go ahead and add the new filter, it needs to build up bacteria too.
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

adding the new filter will not create ammonia or out would it or upset the cycled filter ??? i know it should just keep the water cleaner if anything shouldnt it fern ??? thanks
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

No new filters wont crate ammonia or anything like that. It is just added filtration and another place for your good bacteria to grow. Unless the substrate is getting blown around you cant have too much filtration!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

A couple of observations-

One of the most successful breeders of Hypans, including zebras, I talk to uses only sponge filters in all his tanks. If I could produce even one third of the fry he does, I would be happy.

The amount of bacteria in a tank has almost nothing to do with the filtration, rather is has to do with the bio-load. Adding a new filter to a tank will neither increase nor decrease the amount of bacteria, all it may do is change where some of them colonize/live.

Adequate oxygenation and decent mechanical filteration is much more relevant than turnover rates.

Personally, I would rather see my zebras using their energy to grow and spawn rather than have it wasted on fighting a strong current :-) Just because plecos have adapted to be able to function in current does not mean they must have it to thrive.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Tankfull Tropicals
Forum Follower

Post by Tankfull Tropicals »

craigzeb wrote:i have a tank cycling with an internal filter but want to add another maybe 2 to keep it super clean which type and make would anyone choose ??

I don't waiste a lot of money on external filters anymore. I run almost 700 gallons in varios tanks in my living room on a good power head and sponges. Tanks are cristal clear and if you put the intake at the oposite end of the tank you can get a 1 way current going. As far as aration goes that is easy with power heads. I insert a small intraveinus line into the upstand just bellow the powerhead. This fills the water colum with very tiny bubbles 24/7 with no noisey airpumps. :aok:
" Always be Tankfull "