A quick Tank question...

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Gibbi_mcfc

A quick Tank question...

Post by Gibbi_mcfc »

We've recently started keeping tropical fish, and have had the tank for 3 weeks. We currently have 5 Zebra Danio's, 2 Penguin Tetra's, 2 Glass Catfish and 4 shrimp looking things in there. The missus is obsessed with these Plec's, and with the cheapest we've found being £75 (roughly $150), I want to try and do it properly. When would be the best time to introduce these badboys to the tank? Can anyone in the UK recommend the best place to get them from too? And would one on its own be ok, or am I looking at a much bigger payout than first expected?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Gibbi

P.S. Apologies this is in the wrong place x
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Re: A quick Tank question...

Post by vanillarum »

First, welcome to the site. Next, have you cycled your tank ? Very, very important to do, especially if it is a newly set up tank. There are many articles on the net about cycling your tank, so if it has not yet been cycled, you may want to read up on the process. I am not absolutely positive about prices there, as I am on the other side of the pond, but I am relatively sure you should be able to find a pleco for less $. That is, unless you are looking for a zebra pleco, which I had not thought about til now ! In that case, if you find 1 (or more) for that $, buy them! Good luck.
The line of least resistance makes crooked rivers and crooked men !

William H. Danforth
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Zebras are very expensive and can be at times hard too look after. Zebs also don't do much (sorry), but is nots like a neon tetra, that you can look at all day and watch feed. These things are nocturnal and love to hide.

I don't want to talk you out of keeping zebs, but a good way to learn, is too buy a cheaper "cousin" like a L66, L333 or L260 or something similar. All enjoy roughly the same water conditions and flow, and are normally more attactive so can be seen during the day.

Please note this is just my opinion, other people will surely comment.

But must stress, don't add anymore fish until the tank is cycled and the water conditions, ie. ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are zero
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
Gibbi_mcfc

Post by Gibbi_mcfc »

Thanks very much for all the help. Currently cycling the tank at the moment, so we're going to leave the Plec's til this is done. Otherwise, a great thanks to all the replies x