Rio Xingu biotope

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

coralite
Groupie

Rio Xingu biotope

Post by coralite »

I've been trolling ZP for years now but I am now just getting around to building my first aquarium for keeping zebra plecos. I have decided to try to build a Rio Xingu biotope aquarium.

The tank is a 20 gallon long with ADA Rio Xingu sand, river boulders from the local clear creek and just a few plants from Belem, Manaus and Lago Grande. I won't grow many plants but at least they are as close to Rio Xingu as possible. The aquascape was quickly put together and I hope to eventually get some breeding caves which I can bury into my riverbank of Rio Xingu sand.

The tank is drilled for a sump with all of the drain water feeding into a high pressure wet dry to drive more O2 into the water since I live at 6000 feet of altitude. Return is provided by a Tunze silence water pump, going through an EcoAqualizer, a bypass to the wet dry and a return to the tank. The water flow is provided by a vortech MP10 which can flow this 30" tank just like a river. I will be putting in my two zebra plecos today so let's hope they like their carefully crafted tank. I'll post some pics of the sump later.

it's not in my nature to be mysterious, I just can't talk about it and I can't say why.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Great looking tank, good luck with your zebs :(
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

Looking good, I really like the sloping "riverbanks". :)
Zinfin

Post by Zinfin »

That's beautiful. I like the rock overhangs.

What size zebras are going in here? Any pics with them in the tank?
coralite
Groupie

Post by coralite »

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I put in a 2" and a 2.5" zebra plecos in there and they are absolutely loving it! They are spending very little time hiding, or at rest and instead they are swimming about quite a lot. The larger one especially patrols the front glass back and forth waiting for me to feed. I don't know if it's the high temperature (86F). the wet dry producing high O2 concentrations, the strong water flow or the combination of the three that is making the zebras so active, even in bright light.

I'll take and post some more pics and a video soon.
it's not in my nature to be mysterious, I just can't talk about it and I can't say why.
coralite
Groupie

Post by coralite »

I made and uploaded a number of pics of this tank and one of the zebras. Hope you guys like it, my zebra pleco sure does.

Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Fantastic shots and great to see your zeb out and about in its lovely home :D
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

It is great to see a pleco tank so stunning to look at - nice work my tanks look naff in comparison
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
coralite
Groupie

Post by coralite »

Here is a much overdue update to the Rio Xingu biotope. It now houses 5 x l46, two ottos, 5 cory gossei and 3 cory similis.
coralite
Groupie

Post by coralite »

Here's a little cross section of the inhabitants
coralite
Groupie

Post by coralite »

And this picture right here, is exactly why I set up this tank: to showcase one or more uber studly, picture perfect specimens such as this one.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Sweet
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
coralite
Groupie

Re: Rio Xingu biotope

Post by coralite »

I am so relieved to hear that this forum is still going, I have to post an update right away.
coralite
Groupie

Post by coralite »

Here's another shot with 3 cory gossei in the foreground and the zebras really love the overhanging ledge.
John

Post by John »

Good looking tank and great pics :)
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]