Looking for females

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Jaz
Groupie

Looking for females

Post by Jaz »

Hey
So last time we bought 2 adult males. Now we need some females to keep them happy. We found a seller who is selling these 6 zebz. I got these pictures from him, hopefully you could tell something from these. Are there any females in the group and how long it would take them to be mature for breeding?

Thanks for help

Joonas & Kata

twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

I see at least 1 female.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
Jaz
Groupie

Post by Jaz »

So nobody can found more than 1 female? Not worth bying 6 then I suppose...
darry
Forum Follower

Young fishes

Post by darry »

From the look of it, these 6 zebras are relatively young fishes, which is about 2 inches +. Most of us will rated them as "unsexable" at this stage.

Now back to your objective,

1) If you hope that they can breed for you in less than 6 months, this group is not possible as they are not fully matured yet or well condition to breed.
2) If you can wait much longer, such as more than a year to condition them and to allow them to grow till adulthood, then you may be rewarded with a few females eventually

In my opinion, getting unsexed fish would be cheaper as compare to buying confirmed female or breeding group. If time is not a factor, you can even start consider the juv fish of 1.5", which is cheaper and more rewarding, when they eventually breed for you.

It is just a hobby, so do it your way, cheers!
Jaz
Groupie

Post by Jaz »

Thanks for help Darry.

Well our problem is that we have 2 adult males and 1 nearly adult male. But then we have 4 juveniles, that are 1+ inch. There might be females in those 4, but it would take probably 2 years before that is clear. So thats why I'm trying to find females. In Finland there are no adult zebs on sale, so I'm kinda stuck with these nearly mature ones. :(
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

If you have top shot of each individuals with size, I might have a better chance to sex them.

Out this group, I do see at least one mature female that is ready to breed soon. My experience is that some female can be ready to breed as early as about 2.5 years old. How ever, it might take a lot longer up to 4 years for the males to get ready.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
Jaz
Groupie

Post by Jaz »

I'm sorry but these are the only pictures I got from seller. :(