How to breed and feed my catfish?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

José Maria

How to breed and feed my catfish?

Post by José Maria »

Hello everyone!
This is my first post here. I am Brazilian, a veterinarian, and I've spent almost my entire life studying the aquarium and ornamental piscultura.

Personally, I am quite new in the business of catfishes. I bought my first copy about two years. I am the creator of guppies and Platis commercially, very recently, about a year only. I have a small building with 9 tanks of 1500 liters, one from 2400, and 30 more aquariums. I still have about 50 plant species as well. I have been researching on the net too much about plecos. I made some mistakes at the beginning and I lost some specimens of gold nugget, and a white ball nigrofaciatus. As I discovered people creating such a commercially from pineapple and armored L-21 in ponds without water movement, tried to put some Pekolts (3), Nuggets (3) and white ball (3) a tank of 1500 liters without filtration, with green water prepared as if for the guppies. At the time seemed to be okay, another hour later all appeared floating on the water dead. Just saved a snowball at great cost. It was a real even disasters, and a big silly me for sure. After that, I take great care and never lost a single copy that I bought. I was told that in São Paulo has a large distributor creating a beautiful glass catfish, but I wished to say what it was. It appears that keeps it locked the keys 7. Often the professional creation has nothing to do with features that are written in the forums. See the desperate, create cascudos pineapple in the South in ponds in cold water without moving successfully .....!!!!????? create L-21 in ponds without water movement and hypophysation ...!!!???? Difficult to understand! But possible and feasible, both being done.
Today I have 7 Pekoltia vittata, 6 Pekoltia Oligospila, 2 "snowball" I do not know yet what their identification (accept help), plus 4 Pseudacanthicus leopardus cf. I do a basic food for them currently ripe zucchini (Of all the zucchini is eating better and more comfortable), cabbage (which they love too but I do not know whether it is appropriate since it never saw the reports, although I do that there are two years apparently without problems), squash (but do not like eating as much as others), but the ration Setra discus. Stopped using Tetra bits, because an expert here in my hometown of catfishes have told me that it has too much fat and is bad for fish. Fact that I found very strange indeed, since it has a flavor much higher than that of Sera, a veterinarian and higher fat in the diet for me is a sign of high quality protein ... I stopped just in case! For example, suppose two diets have the same amount of protein, and which one has more fat than the other, it basically means that the diet has more fat has more animal protein, or protein has a higher quality . I've seen people out there giving cucumber (my plecos do not like), carrots (not eat), today bought chard and I will test ... I have seen reports of up fruit! Someone who has husky there I could pass as carry with your food? ... Help me please! And the issue that was discovered in marshland and rivers of the Amazon is a wealth and variety of plankton, algae as spirullina are rich and abundant in its waters ... fish also soaked up by the gills ....??? I also saw people who say using frozen mussels and shrimp for catfish,
how to use these frozen fish? Gotta grind, makes pate? Never seen here spirullina tablets, say they love .....

'm Riding on a short-fiber tank 1500 liters for one of my species here, probably the Pekolt vittata, with 5200 liters / hour of filtration, quartz sand at the bottom (10cm), various plants, stumps, rocks, hiding places, vessels Pottery, sunny, warmer, I think the fish are almost in their sexual maturity. I hope by August and be ready to receive biologically stabilized and the fish will be my first attempt to reproduce them. My question still is if I let the water turn green with plankton or to keep transparent with ASPD. It would be great if people who love the catfish in our country could think about creating one, since 99.99% of those fish that compraqmos are all captured, and the pollution of rivers and building dams, it will soon end up in ..... the hobbyists will in future be the only chance of keeping copies as beautiful and mysterious! Moreover, it would be great to exchange information among themselves, indeed! I would any help there who can give, and all suggestions are welcome and respected.
José Maria

Post by José Maria »

honestly have to look at sites from other countries the information they seek. Unfortunately, I see the sites of Brazil fishkeeping little warm, where many people hide themselves verbally as well as their experiences, which is not something that makes me feel sincerity. Like many here, I realized that honesty in the reports, I fell in love catfish. My country, so full of natural resources also does not hesitate to prey upon our natural resources and biological wealth. This week approved the construction of the third largest dam in the world by governments, unfortunately this dam will be built in a haven of magnificent species of catfish, which will bring as likely to lead to extinction of numerous species fantastic that we still have here. I am very pleased to see this site dedicated people from other countries to understand the nature of these fish and worrying about how to play them. I never saw nobody around here with reports of captive breeding, either for hobbyists or professional breeders of these species. The person catching these fish in the rivers here, known as piabeiros, capture eg 1000 neon fish, and sell them at 4 euros per 1,000 fish. These same fish arrive in Europe to 20 euros each Slide up I was told. Are exploited for the enrichment of middlemen and countries in dire straits as putting food on the table in your house. The maintenance of species as fantastic as our catfish, within a very short time, unfortunately, depend on hobbyists and enthusiasts such fish as we are. It makes me very sad and worried. Would you like a bit of attention of participants in this fantastic forum for passionate as I am. I have many truths to tell everyone. The truth sets us free. Regards. Jose Maria. Veterinarian.