which is best bb or florite black sand

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

jczz1232
Groupie

which is best bb or florite black sand

Post by jczz1232 »

Hey guys which you thinking would be best which is best bb or florite black sand. Its a 40g breeder going to house 15 zebras. Please tell me what you guys think.

Thanks
coralite
Groupie

Post by coralite »

I chose to use Rio XIngu sand not only for the geeky factor of using sand actually from where Zebra Plecos occur but also because it is bright. Many fish will match their color to their environment over time and dark gravel tends to make fish darker. I chose brighter sand to hopefully have the reverse effect of keepig fish colors bright and I feel it looks more natural than having a stark white fish against a black background.
it's not in my nature to be mysterious, I just can't talk about it and I can't say why.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It doesn't much matter to the fish what color the sand/substrate is. In the wild the zebras live deep enough that there are no plants or algae present and minimal light at best. Its dark down there.

There is sufficient cover in the form of rocks that they can roam over their territory without ever breaking from that cover. Further, because of the very high flow rate there are no small dither fish about to be used for gauging the potential presence of a predator.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.