Is the ban on catching zebras off ?

Whats happening in the wild, current issues and debates....oooh this one'll get hot!

drd
Groupie

Is the ban on catching zebras off ?

Post by drd »

I was just offered to be in on a sending from brasil on 100 wild zebras and loads of other L-numbers.

How can this be i wonder ?

When i got the knowhow that the zebras he was going to import to denmark was wild i backed and said i am not byuing any.

The price was 900 danish kronor for a zebby between 6-8 cm and its around 160$ i guess.

Can i get in touch with the customs on this ?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

The ban only effects th collection and removal of the fish from Brazil. Once illegally removed from Brazil, there are no import laws which prevent the fish from ending up all over the world.

The ban has not been lifted, the fish are all being collected illegally and smuggled out.

A ton of these illegally caught wild zebras hit the USA over the past six months. I never saw nor bought any. However, I have heard a number of stories from folks I trust and who i consider to be knowledgable. The majority of them involve the very poor condition in which most of the fish they saw here were.

If you are going to buy any of these illegally exported fish, I suggest you be able to examine them before you pay.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
emtbmike

Post by emtbmike »

I agree 100%. I bought 7 and got 1 extra (they shipped shorter fish then ordered so they compensated me by shipping another one) they were extremely emaciated. I lost 4 of them by the second week. Spend the extra money and get healthy fish from local breeders.
drd
Groupie

Post by drd »

I am actually thinking of going over to denmark from sweden were i live and see when the fish had arrived see after a week or so if the seller have any left that is in buyable condition.

But i need to get tank nr 9 first in my appartment to my girlfriends joy and happyness if i am going to buy once or twice but i hardly think that going to be the case. :(
bengranger80
Groupie

Post by bengranger80 »

Not going to be long before they catch them all. Surely they cant sustain this sort of heavy catching before they are all gone?
I wonder how easy it is to reintroduce them back into the wild?
Get a good quantity of F1s and fly them back to the xingu.
Wonder if Brazil have banned the import of zebs or just the export.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I have just removed this post please be advised Zebrapleco.com does not support the export and retail of wild caught zebra plecos please refrain from posting any links to website offering such fish for sale
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk