Why has one of my females been beaten up?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Why has one of my females been beaten up?

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Hmmm.......seems I am the only one posting at the moment!

My Zebra tank has 2 males and 4 females. The two males live at either end of the tank in their caves, occaisionally swaping ends, but there hasn't been any trouble between them. Anyway, this morning I saw that one of my females was looking very much the worse for wear. Lost a couple of stripes on both sides and the dosal fin is a bit tattered. My first thought was that maybe she wasn't a female after all but a small young male, but (s)he has not behaved like a male in as much she hasn't caved and has a usual spot on the slate to hang out.

So I guess the questions are - Could she be a male? Do females fight? Should I remove him/her? I have dosed with melafix and will do so now until (s)he looks better, but she looks lively enough. The big alpha male has swapped ends over night and is close by.

What do you think?

Angela
dconnors
Groupie

Post by dconnors »

I just had the same thing happen with one of my breeding females. Sometimes this can happen when they attempt to spawn. Make sure you stay on top of your water quality-the fish will heal fairly quickly but is prone to bacterial infection while the wound is still fresh. Good luck!
:) Dave
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Thanks Dave, I am reassured by that. I do a 5% change every other day and a 20% weekly. Just done my 20% but will do another tomorrow and every day until she's looking better. If she's tried to spawn I guess I should be pleased.............clearly I wish the male was more amenable!!
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Just took some pictures. This is her usual spot, but the alpha male has moved over from the other end of the tank to the one next to where she usually hangs out! You can see the big bruisers tail hanging out of his cave on the right. You can see how she's been roughed up, it's the same on both sides but not as pink as it was this morning.

She definitely seems interested in him, or a glutton for punishment. She's about the smallest one I have and doesn't look like she has any eggs.

Should I think about removing her or putting her into a fre saver for a couple of days?
Last edited by GrubbyGirl on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

She will recover fast it is practice spawning action bashing or they are sorting out who is going to live where, flank scuffs are a good breeding sign but make sure its not happening too often I would say the fish is a female :)
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

It's worse than having kids! lol :lol:
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I know it is funny how peopl always say fish are relaxing and great fir stress - great for causing stress more like lol
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Jo, you were right she did recover fast and is all healed up again!
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Good to hear she's all healed up :)
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Just took a pic of her hanging out by the alpha male as ever, as you can see she now has a little zigzag in her stripe. She is by far my youngest and smalles female yet she's more keen on the male than all of them!!