Pilot light on Heater?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

BigPlans
Forum Follower

Pilot light on Heater?

Post by BigPlans »

Hi

It's only just occured to me that the pilot light on the heater in my Zeb tank must be coming on and going off every five minutes and probably seems like a lighthouse in the living room for them.

Anyone else know if this may be a problem or not? Anyone bred with one of these in he tank? (maybe the disco effect gets them in the mood!)

Cheers

Sam
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi

You will get better results from your heater by fixing condensation lids to your tank if you have not already (glass) and also a hood.
You will be loosing a lot of heat from an open top,I put the transformers (that get warm)from the lights inside the cabinet this helps to heat the pump and not the hood or as in your case the room.As a rule for me I like to know my heater is more off than on but all tanks differ as higher temps for zebs,more agitated water, size of tank,substrate,furnishings,position in the room near heater,draughts from doors or windows all of these will affect the temp of your tank.

Hope this helps.
Jerry (no charge for this info):D
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

It is always a good idea to use 2 heaters lower wattage so that not to much strain is put on the one heater and the temp will be more stable when keeping tanks at a higher temp, Eheim heaters have quite a low electric consumption and are mega reliable hope this helps.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Most heaters have a red light. My understanding is that fish don't see red light.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
BigPlans
Forum Follower

Post by BigPlans »

Thanks guys, yep Ive got the condensation covers and am making. A custom hood to blend it with the room

I don't want to sound unnapreciative but I did want to know if the light on the heater would disturb them if it came on at night and I don't think that's been directly answered. Any ideas?
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
I don't think it will affect them much but if you are worried about it you can put something in front of the light or tape over it but so you can still see part of it,or turn it at an angle to the glass so you can see reflection only and fish can't see it at all,put it horizontally and face light upwards only some ideas as I can't see your heater what it is and where it is positioned in your tank.

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I thought I had adressed that issue?
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
BigPlans
Forum Follower

Post by BigPlans »

Thanks for all of your comments guys, sorry TTA I didn't spot your note before I asked again.

I've ordered a moonlight kit to see how he's getting on in the tank overall when he's awake, should be interesting.

Having said that, do you think they ever sleep?