Group of three to sexes

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
hgau999
Forum Follower

Group of three to sexes

Post by hgau999 »

Can you please help sexes these guys. They are between 2.5 to 3 inches (6.5 - 7 cm).

Thanks
dconnors
Groupie

Post by dconnors »

You really need to fatten them up to be able to tell. Give them a couple of months, but if I had to guess I would say 2M,1F.
hgau999
Forum Follower

Post by hgau999 »

Yeah got them yesterday, they're suppose to be WC. I'm guessing 1 and 2 to be males and 3 a female. Any one else wants to chime in?
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Honestly, all 3 look to be male.

Were these from Saul?
hgau999
Forum Follower

Post by hgau999 »

Yeah, :shock: Raul-7 how'd ya know? I had requested him to send me 2 females. :?
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

hgau999 wrote:Yeah, :shock: Raul-7 how'd ya know? I had requested him to send me 2 females. :?
Because he usually sells them thin and he can't sex them correctly. :(

I think most wild-caught Zebras are male because they're easier to catch since they're always hiding in caves, crevices, nooks, etc.

Good luck.
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Raul,

All wild caught are thin....its never easy to sex any Zebras specially the ones from the wild.

I'm sure most people will agree that even when they fat is not that easy

What do you mean by Usually? all wild caught are thin..... and YES Im not an expert sexing them and honestly if you read through the threads you will find people that were told to have males and they have babies now

.50 cents

Regards,
Saul
Last edited by unungy on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hgau999
Forum Follower

Post by hgau999 »

Saul,

Glad you could chime in. When I won your auction I had requested that you send me 1 m and 2 f and you told me you could eye ball them for me. Plus in your auction you did not specify that "Will not Guarantee Sexes". Now it was my fault for not checking on your expertise on sexing them. But when I saw you had many L46 auction and even had one auction that your selling as a male-female pair, I thought you had some experience... My fault to assume..."Assumptions are for ASSES". I've only had 2 month internet research on the L46 and have only owned my first L46 for a month. But I can at least look at mine know for sure 2 of the ones you sent me are males. Raul is not the only one that replied to me claiming all my fish I received are thin and all males.

[/quote]
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Yes that is correct the auction specifies 3 adult zebras 7.0 - 7.5 and Yes I eye ball for 1 male and 2 males but no guarantees.

I don't think nobody can be called an "expert" because in more the one occasion it has been proven wrong.

I'll send you the pictures today of the other group for your consideration.

Saul
hgau999
Forum Follower

Post by hgau999 »

Saul,

The reason why I told you I am going else where is because you would not guarantee the next fish you send me are females. Am I suppose to pick a fish from the pics and your going to send that specific fish. You told me you had hundreds. Plus the pics you sent me were too hazy, for my novice eyes I would not be able to sex them.
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Hi,

I have no problems with you going somewhere else and if anyone can help you with what you are looking for that will be great.

If you want me to send you pictures of the other group, Please email me.
Otherwise good luck in your serach.

The moderators here won't appreciate our personal chat going public and they will close your thread, our conversations and emails should remain confidential.

Regards,
Saul

PS: Sorry moderators I was just trying to respond to the thread but it went out of control. My apologies and I will take it private again.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

unungy wrote:Raul,

All wild caught come are thin....its never easy to sex any Zebras specially the ones from the wild.

I'm sure most people will agree that even when they fat is not that easy

What do you mean by Usually? all wild caught are thin..... and YES Im not an expert sexing them and honestly if you read through the threads you will find people that were told to have males and they have babies now

.50 cents

Regards,
Saul
I'm not blaming you per-say, but the 3 posted above have all the characteristics of being male just by looking at them. The thick pectoral fins, wide ventral fins and rather broad head are strong male features. The only one that might be female is #1 as the features are not as pronounced (the pectoral fin is thinner than the other two).

I'm not trashing your business, you sell them as is. I'm trying to tell you that most WC are male, because they're easier to catch.
unungy
Groupie

Post by unungy »

Raul.

Thank you.. I appreciate that I sell them as it is and I don't guarantee sex.
All wild caught have the same body shape even smaller ones.

Saul
hgau999
Forum Follower

Post by hgau999 »

When the fish are at about 6 to7 cm wouldn't there be enough Odontode growth on the gills and pectoral fins to give some one a good educated guess? In pics 1 and 2 I thought I saw gill whiskers that touch the pectoral fins. Plus, the hair growth on the pectoral fins seems pretty thick to me. However, since I don't have a known female to compare, this is just an educated guess.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

hgau999 wrote:When the fish are at about 6 to7 cm wouldn't there be enough Odontode growth on the gills and pectoral fins to give some one a good educated guess? In pics 1 and 2 I thought I saw gill whiskers that touch the pectoral fins. Plus, the hair growth on the pectoral fins seems pretty thick to me. However, since I don't have a known female to compare, this is just an educated guess.
There are instances where the females resemble the males. In fact my first pair involved a rather male-ish female.